Sorry to bug you but...... disc population ???

Started by pclavett, December 07, 2022, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

I have been trying to populate a disk with rocks......and for some reason can only get the rocks to populate along a few radial bands ! I have tried just about everything and searching the forum has not given me an answer. I am including a screenshot and the TGD file ! Hope someone can tel me what is wrong with this and how to fix it ! Sorry for bothering you !

gao_jian11

Could it be that it's too flat, a little bit of angle and it's spread out, haha

Dune

Perhaps the disc is not suited for populating. I tried some settings, but couldn't get it to work either.

As a workaround you can use a flattened sphere or polysphere. You'd only have to mask out the center, but that can be done by SSS. A bit more cumbersome on an angle, but you can also use the transform shader to match the angle with that of the rotated polysphere/sphere.

Hannes

The guys were faster than me. I agree, it might be, that the internal sphere isn't suited to be populated on.
The fastest solution I did, was creating an identical object in another app (less than a minute work) and import it into TG. Populates perfectly.

gao_jian11

Dune

Mmmm, strange that it does work that way. But great.

pclavett

That is just great guys ! Those are all perfect solutions and will try those out ! You must have guessed that I am trying to get this for a planetary ring populated with ice rocks or similar ! Thanks for all the help ! Take care all ! Paul