Glacier Lake

Started by pclavett, December 24, 2022, 01:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Hi guys ! Happy Holidays to you all ! Here is a work started in Gaea and transported to Terragen for dressing up ! Rendered with the Path Traced and the first render again had dark shadows but this one was done with a giant quarter dome behind the camera giving better defined shadowy areas and again, thanks to Hannes for teaching me this trick ! Have a great day all ! Paul

Hannes

Cool!!! The image looks very naturalistic. I think, the trick worked! ;) 
Maybe the snow is a little too plaster like? (Is this understandable?)

Dune

Great scene! Lighting is perfect, greenery is really nice, and the water is looking very much like a glacier lake (as far as I know). I don't know if there would be more algae (deeper green areas) in such areas.
I agree with Hannes about the snow, it doesn't look natural enough, a bit like stucco on a wall. Probably because of the evenly spread small grit, which looks like fake stones or so. I think it should be smoother, with some gentle blownup perlin or ridges perhaps, or preferably some slided down cracky areas, but that's harder to accomplish.

pclavett

The snow was directly from Gaea.....part of the terrain and agree it looks a bit like someone smeared an ice cream cone on the peaks ! I will have to reassess my method in Gaea..... it does offer some distribution advantages but the borders are a bit too defined and the surface not so realistic. Think I might use it mostly to get distribution maps and use Terragen to generate the snow. I have another cooking with an additional snow layer on top of the one done in Gaea and it does look a bit better....at least in test renders. Thanks for the comments as always ! Appreciated and have a Happy Christmas guys ! Paul

masonspappy

It's a good image. Very calming. Agree about the snow and would love to see what it looks like with Terragen snow.