A Mountain Slope WIP

Started by pixelpusher636, December 30, 2022, 12:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

Heavy use of megascans, yet still not satisfied.
After several hours (passing the point of no return) I thought to my self... what the hell am I even looking at here? I've spent all this time drawing the eye to what? A mossy rock? :-[
To be continued...
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

aknight0

Haha, your rock needs a cool bug on it or something  ;D

Nice start though!

Dune

Well, it looks very photographic, but in fact megascans are 'photo's wrapped around a shape'. In that sense it looks very good, also the mishmash of added stuff. Though if you look carefully some branches repeat themselves a bit obviously, so you might want to edit one or two.

Perhaps the most unsatisfying part would indeed be a clear subject, as you state yourself. A bug or a few bugs (damselfly, dragonfly, or butterfly) would be a good addition. Lots on the web, I think. Perhaps add a very small pool of moisture that would attract them, so you add a story to this scene. Have some sitting, some flying over that little pool of water or wet mud. Nice challenge!

What you also can do is make the arrangement of megascans more satisfying, to add a clear focal attention point, and or use a spotlight to (fake) a lightbeam through canopy lighting out a small area dramatically.

The mentioned small pool would also be a focal point, reflecting some blue sky.

Hannes

Great!!! I agree with Ulco. And a little DOF might be useful as well.

pixelpusher636

I've changed this up quite a lot. Still not finished but it's getting closer for me!

Doug

i thought this was Terragen not 35mm pictures

wow

looks like a photo

pixelpusher636

Thanks 
Quote from: Doug on January 02, 2023, 07:35:09 PMi thought this was Terragen not 35mm pictures

wow

looks like a photo
Thanks Doug! Still much work left to do, and by the way I do believe that hero rock fancy's a petroglyph.   ;D

Hannes

Awesome!!! Great use of Quixel stuff!

pixelpusher636

mhaze

Good work, I like the second one best.

zaxxon

I've viewed your image a number of times, and as a fellow Megascan user I think you've done as good a job in utilizing the MS objects/surfaces as any that I've seen in TG. I was curious if you started from the fbx objects or if you were using a prior saved object in obj as Megascans has now deprecated the obj format for it's libraries. Any info you might care to share in your process would be appreciated. Thanks!

pixelpusher636

Thanks Zaxxon! 
I've been admiring your work for awhile now and have been blown away by it.

First of all (as I'm sure you know) it's a lot of monotonous steps in-between MS and TG before you are able to do anything with the product. All of these assets started as FBX files. The outcome is not an original one but a sore copy of the great Dan Woje. He does mind-blowing things with MS his work can be viewed 
here: https://www.artstation.com/danwoje

So far as sharing the process I'd be happy to answer any part of it with some specificity.