Wellsville Sunset

Started by aknight0, December 30, 2022, 01:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknight0

My attempt to capture a winter sunset behind the Wellsville mountains in northern Utah.  Impossible to really portray the full beauty, but hey, I can try ;).

I realized I haven't really done a full winter scene before.  Any tips on the snow from the snow masters here?  After digging through old forum posts I tried giving it a little bit of roughness, a reflective shader with a roughness of 1, and just a hint of blue luminosity.  

pixelpusher636

Looking really good man! No tips to offer but Dune (and his snow mastery) should be offering some tips soon!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

Soon is now ;)  Great scene, I love that sky, really wintry.

What I mostly use for snow is a derivate of a tgc I once found in this forum (can't remember who made, it but might well be Dandel0), which basically uses a default shader with some PF inputs for color variation, luminosity, displacement, reflection and translucency, and a min slope addition for old deep blue ice.

I often add a surface shader with a reflection shader and tiny, sparse fake stone as child, masked by another tiny sparse fake stone shader, masked by distance shader, to get some pinpricks of reflection within 20m or so. And I often add a dirt surface layer, with a percentage of coverage and some dirty color.

You have to remember to attach the 2 distance shaders inside to the render camera.

Hannes

Wow, really nice!! Great tips, Ulco!

aknight0

Thanks for sharing Dune, I'll check it out!

mhaze