ISS again...

Started by Hannes, January 23, 2023, 03:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I'm afraid, I can't stop. Yet another one. For the clouds I used a high res image map, and I added another less coverage cloud layer on top of it, which has the same map, and is positioned slightly higher. I used an additional cloud fractal to get some structure at the top of the clouds to make them look less flat.

masonspappy

That looks utterly real !

Doug

Dune

Yeah, absolutely great! There's not really anything that says it's not a photo, unless perhaps the lack of stars.

Hannes

;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks guys!! This is very encouraging.
Well, the old stars discussion. I'm pretty sure, this was meant ironically by you, Ulco ;) .
So it's always a decision. Should I have stars in my scene for artistic reasons with so many light around or not. This time I wanted it to look as real as possible. I haven' seen a NASA image yet (a real photograph - not long exposure images) showing bright lit parts of the ISS and the earth for example, where you can see stars. So, I didn't use any.
It's interesting, that even in most modern sci fi movies stars are visible in this kind of scenes, although if this was real, they wouldn't be. It just looks cool!

KlausK

What can I say ??? ?
Let the attached clip be my "WOW" for all of the images you posted lately!
They are so good...

CHeers, Klaus

/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

You are right, Hannes, no stars visible on ISS photo's. So you did make a real photo ;D
I wonder why no stars are visible, actually.... too weak?

Hannes

Quote from: KlausK on January 24, 2023, 04:44:25 AMLet the attached clip be my "WOW" for all of the images you posted lately!
;D Thanks a lot, Klaus!! (A fantastic movie!!!)

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on January 24, 2023, 05:39:20 AMI wonder why no stars are visible, actually.... too weak?
Indeed. As far as I know, you can see even the milky way in the desert at night, when it's completely dark around you, but you wouldn't see stars, when you're in a bright lit city looking at the sky.

Hannes

...and another one. I took a NASA image as reference for the point of view. Although this ISS model is very detailed it's still far away from the complexity of the real thing. However, I love to use it.

Dune

Great! The only parts showing it's a model are the circular endparts of the station, which actually is a pity for such a detailed model. But that is of course no crtiticism of your outstanding job.

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Ulco!! Unfortunately this model is already so complex, that sometimes I can't load the OBJ in Max for further detailing. However fortunately it loads perfectly as TGO in Terragen. Closeups are a problem, but from a distance it looks cool.

Dune

It certainly does! And you have to really search for it.

pclavett

Really lovely render Hannes !