Denali early summer !

Started by pclavett, February 01, 2023, 01:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Hi guys
Have been toying on this one for some time. DEM from the USGS of the Denali area. Exported as a Terragen terrain with no working in other software. The lake as not really there but done with a painted shader and displacement node ! The foreground trees are from 3D-Shaker Coniferous collection. Other veggies are from X-Frogs and Walli purchases now on TurboSquid. Presently exploring other view and renders of this one ! Take care all !

aknight0

Great sense of scale on this one, the mountains look big!  Personal opinion, I think the sky still needs some work, maybe too repetitive?  

Dune

I agree, it's a vast scene that breathes space! And indeed, another sky would be beneficial. Very big clouds (not necessarily high) as opposed to blue sky, e.g.
And I have some trouble with the snow, but that's probably the problem with importing terrain. You can't intercept displcement and smooth certain areas.

Hannes

Very beautiful!! Nice and calm. I agree about the clouds. They don't seem to fit in somehow. Some majestic cloudscape might be better to enhance the depth of the image.
And I'm not sure, if you have the same size for all the trees. The ones in the foreground to the left look very very tiny. The size of the pebbles might look OK, if the trees would be a lot bigger.
Nevertheless a superb scenery!!

pixelpusher636

Beautiful! Indeed a very peaceful scene. 
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

pclavett

Did another render closer to the shore, mixture of procedural (fakestones) and rock objects from Poliigon, Vegetation still a mixture of Walli plants, Xfrogs and 3DShaker. Fixed the snow as Dune suggested. The sky was redone as well ! Render was Path Traced and took more than 2 days on my laptop. One thing that I noticed was that the Path Trace option does not render the water reflections the same as the Standard Renderer...... any reason for this ? With the standard render we can see the mountain components well whereas here they are stretched and fuzzy despite the water being set very smooth and reflective. Even with all waves at 0......the Path Trace render has very fuzzy reflections. This was new to me and wonder if there are ways around this short of redoing the water with the standard render and pasting it on top of this one ? Thanks and take care !

Dune

Clouds are really nice now! I like this view too.
The Path tracer softens/smoothes the reflections (which I like). If you don't want it, you need to set the min highlight spread to zero in the water shader.
Also, you need to up the ray detail region padding in render-advanced, as this will decrease the blockyness of the front stuff underwater.
And I wonder if a PT render is necessary for such a scene. RT would be very much faster.