A few more Renders

Started by pixelpusher636, February 05, 2023, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

Here are a few more random renders. Into the Forest has some of those Beech trees Paul posted awhile back. :)
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

Interesting renders, very well executed! The trees are magnificent. What I would do in the first render is to use a (Quixel) image map of fallen leaves for the ground, and sprinkle some objects over it, and here and there some humps of the moss you did.
In the beach render the palms are tiptoeing :o  I would also set them apart in a small cluster off center, and perhaps add some bushes (or cacti) around the dark rock outcrop at front. I really like the distance with the low cloud! And the sandy areas are great with the sparse greens, very natural.

Hannes

Agree with Ulco. A little bit more groundcover in the first image might be good. However, I like it very much. :)
And I recognize the palms in the second image. It took me a few renders to realize, that their pivot is not set correctly. But you could get around this easily by just moving the instances a few centimeters down (in the object maker).

Dune

Btw. where did the trees come from? Shaker-3D? I didn't find them.

masonspappy

The second image is very convincing, although the palm trees need to be lowered a wee bit so their roots are in the soil.

pixelpusher636

Thanks for the instructions guys, I was looking so much at everything else in the beach scene I missed that the palms are indeed standing on their tip toes.  ;D

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Dune on February 06, 2023, 02:57:56 AMBtw. where did the trees come from? Shaker-3D? I didn't find them.
I'll have to look at the exact species if you are referring to the distant trees but they are Xfrog. The palms were created in Xfrog but I purchased them on CG trader. 

Dune

I actually meant the Forest trees ::)

pclavett

Well done ! The closeup of the trees are amazing...... Xfrog or other source ???

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Dune on February 07, 2023, 02:52:44 AMI actually meant the Forest trees ::)
Greetings Dune! Apologies for the delayed response, I've been away this past month and missed this.

I regret to say that the detailed trees that are closeup are only the bottoms of the trees (no branches or leaves) from Quixel. A few beech and an oak I believe. They now have full trees available but I don't have any of those unfortunately. I'd often wondered what good these live stumps were for until this scene where it sort of just worked out. :-\

I am planning to revisit this scene and add some mossy bits as you suggested. I do have actual leaves littered around the forest floor but I had some real issues with this scene (closeup) for some reason populating them correctly on the floor. I will have another go at that as well. 

pixelpusher636

S0me mossy bits added to the foreground. :)

Dune

Thanks Jay. Clever idea to use just hires trunks for foreground, I'll keep that in mind. And your latest render looks very good, very nice ground cover.
Regarding your issues with populating, it is always important for small scale stuff to have another compute normal at the very end (loose end dangling, sort of, not in the line), even with patch size of 0.2 or so if needed, or if angle is not very important, let the pop sit on the very last surface shader.
Unless you have some snow that should half-bury small veggies, your slightly lifted snow comes after that last 'sit-on' shader.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Dune on March 12, 2023, 01:46:59 AMThanks Jay. Clever idea to use just hires trunks for foreground, I'll keep that in mind. And your latest render looks very good, very nice ground cover.
Regarding your issues with populating, it is always important for small scale stuff to have another compute normal at the very end (loose end dangling, sort of, not in the line), even with patch size of 0.2 or so if needed, or if angle is not very important, let the pop sit on the very last surface shader.
Unless you have some snow that should half-bury small veggies, your slightly lifted snow comes after that last 'sit-on' shader.
Thanks for the tips Ulco. I have added them to my ever expanding TG "clips of wisdom" to refer back to. As you can see from the attached screenie, I had it half right which explains why it did not work. I also had a default patch size on the Compute normal, another detail I tend to forget about. Is the patch size a abstract number or is it a real world measurement of sorts?

I believe with this new knowledge I am going to litter the foreground with some additional debris and see how it pans out. Thanks again!

Jay

Dune

This setup is no good! Very slow, I'd say, as the compute normal needs to compute everything when rendering. Just let it dangle, but use it to anchor the pops to. Then it just needs to compute while populating, not while rendering.
The patch size is in meters, AFAIK, so for exact angle on 10cm displacements, you'd need to set it to 0.1 or so.

Hannes

Looks great, Jay! And very clever tips, Ulco.