Achromatic Vision

Started by schmeerlap, March 07, 2023, 11:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

Once upon a very long time ago in a far distant land a thirteen year old boy was walking along a tropical beach skirted by thick jungle, with his parents. He was a right skinny-ma-linky-long-legs, but that's not all that was wrong with him as he was about to find out. His father said "We'll walk as far as that red sign and turn back." The boy said, "What red sign?" His father tried to point out where the red sign was, "There, up against the trees." but his efforts were in vane. However I do recall that the boy gave him a nod indicating that now that he'd pointed it out he could see it. They pressed on, and when they were but 50 yards (they were in a part of the world that was coloured red in atlases, i.e. the British Empire, so they didn't do metres) from the sign the boy could finally distinguish it from its backing of green jungle. He just about stopped himself from blurting out then "Oh, that red sign" which would betrayed his condition of achromatic vision.

So I kinda knew from that moment on that I was colour blind within the red/green spectrum of light.

Subsequently I have failed every Ishihara test I've taken. I keep trying to tell the tester I can see a number in the coloured spots. Ok, it might not be the same number that the tester is seeing but does that really matter? This pathetic attempt of persistent denial is always dismissed with a sympathetic smile and a kind farewell remark like "Take care, and remember the green light is the one on the bottom."
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Dune

;D  As a matter of fact, I miss the middle cones (so I heard from some investigators years ago), so we might suffer the same way. Red poppies always need to present themselves by waving in the wind up close :P

schmeerlap

I feel your pain, Ulco.  :'(

Dune

Hannes

Oh boy, that sucks!   :(
Hard to imagine not to see specific colours. 
I feel for you as well. 

Dune

Well, luckily there is overlap in spectrum, so I do see red, but not as distinctive (probably). Vague browns, greens, greys may be difficult to distinguish from eachother that way. For years I thought I had a green coat, but it was just grey ;D
Schmeerlap, can you see any reds at all? I know Bobby (whom has disappeared from here unfortunately) only sees greys, that would really be bad.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on March 08, 2023, 02:33:35 AMFor years I thought I had a green coat, but it was just grey ;D
That sounds so crazy! ;D

schmeerlap

Quote from: Dune on March 08, 2023, 02:33:35 AMcan you see any reds at all?
I see red every time I get an energy bill and hear about record profits for energy companies and seven figure bonuses for their CEOs.  >:( >:( >:(
I can see reds. I only have difficulty separating certain shades of reds and greens in bad lighting conditions.
Honestly, my biggest problem is taking a render into photoshop and playing with the Hue slider. Result, pistachio grass. My knuckles should be rapped every time I go near it.  ::)

Dune

Quote from: schmeerlap on March 08, 2023, 09:10:13 AMI see red every time I get an energy bill and hear about record profits for energy companies and seven figure bonuses for their CEOs.
;D ;D ;D ;D
Me too!