Rockwall

Started by Dune, March 23, 2023, 03:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Let's have another rock wall, just because it's possible. Some artifacts though.

Hannes

Wow, looks great! Very nice rocky structures.
I could imagine, it may look interesting if you'd add a V2 cloud layer (maybe 30cm high and low quality) at water level masked by the white water shader (again masked by another PF) to create some splashes here and there.

Mahnmut

Very nice rock, looks carbonaceous to me.
While some mist like Hannes suggested would give it a more northern look, my first association was mediterranean, so a slightly higher point of view (thus reducing reflection) and sone of those turqoise and azure colors would also fit the rock in my eyes.
Cheers,
J

Hannes

Actually I didn't mean mist. I meant the cloud layer used just for some splashes, where the water touches the rocks, hence the low quality which produces more dotty stuff.
I did something like this 13 years ago (!! ;)). See attached image.

Dune

I know what you mean, but with this calm water I don't think it's appropriate. I'm going for the Med look 8)

masonspappy

Nice. I like how you've got the greenery interspersed around the rocks.

schmeerlap

I was tempted to do a double somersault with one-and-half-twist from one of the higher ledges, but as this would cause you to do a lot more work (splashes, concentric waves etc) on an already excellent cracked-rock cliff scene I'll resist the urge.  ;D
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Dune

Well, have another attempt here. If it fails, she will row you into the Eternal Portal.

Added a simple shape mask to raise another rock, changed some parameters of the rockwall, and dented 2 holes by SSS and vdisp.

TG struggled with the water, so the left down part took a looooong time. So I cut the rendering off, cropped that area, rendered that bit, and pasted over. That went faster.

Hannes

Wow, these rocks are fantastic!! Reminds me of some places I've seen in Greece. And the distribution of the vegetation is superb! How did you manage to make them look like really crawling out of these crevices?

Dune

Thanks, Hannes. I thought it would, did the same with me. If you separate the rock displacement from the straight (or not so straight) base cliff, you can use a displacement to scalar from that separate rock part before it's added to the cliff (I just added the whole rock line as a child on a surface shader after a compute terrain). You can use a color adjust to narrow or widen the cracks or mask the tops at will. So, very easy.

Hannes

Cool! Very smart. Thanks for the explanation, Ulco!

pixelpusher636

Love both rock walls but that second one is really going to be great when you finish. Nice work as always man!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.