High Peak

Started by aknight0, April 04, 2023, 10:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknight0

WIP, trying for a big rocky, snowy peak. I'm not quite sure about the trees, they seem out of place perhaps?  And the foreground needs some work.  Any other suggestions?  

schmeerlap

I like the packed snow in the foreground. The mountains might be better upright (without the Twist & Sheer shader).
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Dune

The trees at that altitude would still be alright I guess, but the terrain will need some adjustment for reality, I'm afraid. I don't like all one-way slanted peaks either. One thing you can do is mask the twist and shear, and just have patchy areas lean over, perhaps have another mask for other peaks leaning the other way.
And the snow is way to rough. Did you use displ intersection? Without a fractal noise before compute terrain (and larger minimum size of terrain fractal, say a few meters), snow can be smoother, and size of compute terrain also influences smoothness. You can then add detail in the rock after the compute terrain, as that will be smoothed out completely by intersect.
Interesting to see where you take this.

Mahnmut

Hi,
I like the lean, and I think its realistic for close peaks to lean in similar directions.
What irritates me is the somewhat rounded look in the medium size detail, somehow the shapes look molten.
Best Regards,
J

aknight0

This ended up spinning off in a couple of different directions...

Dune

schmeerlap

Big improvement. Interesting crack patterns in the rockface, especially in BigMountains5: power fractal displacement or Image map displacement?
Good work either way.

Doug

BigMountain5 is really good.
I think i see the abominable snowman.

aknight0

Quote from: schmeerlap on April 17, 2023, 10:51:10 AMBig improvement. Interesting crack patterns in the rockface, especially in BigMountains5: power fractal displacement or Image map displacement?
Good work either way.
Thanks!  There's some of both, horizontally and vertically stretched power fractals mixed in with this rock texture https://ambientcg.com/view?id=Rock022

schmeerlap

I downloaded that Rock22 texture map a while back, but have never used it to such good effect. Must give it another go.

Mahnmut

Well spun!
the vegetation(?) in "1" is simple, but looks like it.
The second one I like even better, great clouds also!