Cathedral

Started by Mahnmut, April 10, 2023, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

Hello together,
some architecture for a change.
Inspired by a dream scene (which didn´t resemble the final render in the least) I tried to make a realy big cathedral. The model is based on a creative commons cathedral model by Tabitown via skethfab, thanks for that! I changed it a bit, mainly opening and closing windows and rearranging tracery.
I could not get the model to accept surface displacement or textures, so in order to make it look less smooth I lowered the micropoly detail to 0.2.
Looks good in my eyes, but far from the impression of scale I aimed for, with a hazy horizon inside the building.
Will have to tweak it a bit more.until then, what do you think, how big does it look? About normal cathedral size I think?

Best Regards,
J

masonspappy

It's looking good - really curious how the finished result will turn out.
Just curious, how were you trying to accomplish the displacement and textures?  Using PBR files that came with the model? Or trying to set it up nodes?

Dune

Greatscene, very dramatic lighting, I think if you put a person in there and have it slightly smaller than it should be, you get a really overwhelming and a bit uncanny cathedral.
No UV? Did you try taking it through Poseray and have it UV'd? Best would probably cubic if it's one mesh. And then texture with some mix of bladdering paint and concrete, or mosses on a wall (merging default shaders in object with a world PF as controller). Some world PF bump (and of course UV spaced bump if it's UV'd) would also be possible. Worth to pursue anyway.

schmeerlap

Excellent atmospherics and lighting. The foreground displaced ground makes me think the cathedral is desolate with nature taking over, if that is the intended effect maybe add some plants, weeds, etc.
I would never attempt anything architectural like this in Terragen. I would build the scene in Blender where one could make use of procedural texturing. But bravo to you for attempting this in Terragen.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Mahnmut

Hi and thanks!
I have used blender mainly to create shapes for 3d printing, never got around to texturing and UV mapping.
The model came with brickwall- window- and other textures I did not care for much, I just wanted to break the plastik-perfect surface of the pure model, trying to apply a powerfractal-displaced surface-layer (forgot about the worldspace-option though). Acutally I quite like the look the low poly count gives, and it saves on rendertime.
Until now I only tinkered with the architecture, improving details I did not like, see below.
The original idea was a truly immense cathedral, so its not moss and grasses I intend to put there, but forests, lakes and Mountains.
lets see how that goes.
Best regards,
J

Mahnmut

Did someone just say pillars to big for the terrain?
There is no such thing...
Still tweaking, but getting closer to the original idea:

schmeerlap

It's coming along ginormously well.  ;D
In the land of Titans our raison d'etre is to be trod on.

Dune

Great! But you have to have the grass rotate with the terrain!

Mahnmut

Yeah, thats the reason why Titans go to church in Wellingtons.

Ulco, your are of course right about the grass. I am still trying to unite realistic foreground detail, a midground for sense of scale, somewhat wild landscape and atmosphere lighting. Didn´t make a version yet where I like all of the above, but getting closer.
Cheers,
J

Dune

It's getting awesome. You'd also need an airplane or a flock of birds flying around. Enough space for those!

schmeerlap

Quote from: Dune on April 15, 2023, 05:06:04 AMIt's getting awesome.
Absolutely. I can also imagine clouds under the roof.

Mahnmut

Thanks!
Coming closer all the time.
Added some detail, a weak shadowless sun for more depth, overdid it with the rays (by adding the atmosphere render several times in postwork)
Clouds did not work well yet, they mess with the lighting and vice versa. Just like in real life, just that here I could not make them look real inside the building.
Cheers,
J

aknight0

This is looking really cool, I like the rays!  One of the previous renders had sun rays hitting the ground far away, I think that helped with distance and scale a lot.  Maybe a boat out on the water?

Mahnmut

Thanks!
that version also has sunlight on the far ground, that just gets lost in the exaggerated haze.
I will tinker with it some more, but maybe after some days off screen. mabe not ;)

Mahnmut

Well, I tinkered a bit today.
No new render, just added the Atmosphere render less agressively in postwork. (More "add", less "dodge" in the layer options. So the sunlit far ground is just barely visible..
Still no inhabitants be they bird or boats, they are all afraid of titan churchgoers in rubber boots.