Hi Res render cuts out rock formation

Started by edlo, January 02, 2008, 04:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edlo

I am working on this rock formation for a while now.
Now that is ready to be rendered a strange thing occurs, if I render above 800 pixels the top of the rock formation is cut flat on top, on a fast test render the rock formations are perfectly rendered though, here are images of both.
Please help as I spent quite some time setting this up.
I include the .tgd file

Virex

It's a well-known problem that'll (hopefully) get sovled soon. It's because TG2 (and nearly every other programm available) renders the scene in pieces. It skips huge displacements as a result of that. And there's no remedy whithout rebuilding your scene from the ground up.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Virex on January 02, 2008, 04:46:00 PM
It's a well-known problem that'll (hopefully) get sovled soon. It's because TG2 (and nearly every other programm available) renders the scene in pieces. It skips huge displacements as a result of that. And there's no remedy whithout rebuilding your scene from the ground up.

I doubt if that's the problem...

Quote from: edlo on January 02, 2008, 04:33:05 PM
I am working on this rock formation for a while now.
Now that is ready to be rendered a strange thing occurs, if I render above 800 pixels the top of the rock formation is cut flat on top, on a fast test render the rock formations are perfectly rendered though, here are images of both.
Please help as I spent quite some time setting this up.
I include the .tgd file

I've just downloaded your file and rendered it using the "full render" node and the problem showed up.
However, rendering it while using the "quick render" node didn't show any problem.
Strange, because the the nodes don't differ in settings.
So just set the target size and quality in your quick render tab en render it, no problem.
Why this is, no idea...know some people had it too (choronr for example).

Regards, Martin

rcallicotte

@TA - This is a known problem.  Remember when efflux and volker were doing all of those wild displacements and we ran into the same problem?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

This is definitely a known problem. If Quick Render is working then its settings must differ from the normal renderer, since the two are simply instances of the same identical base node and so operate the same.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on January 02, 2008, 10:26:30 PM
This is definitely a known problem. If Quick Render is working then its settings must differ from the normal renderer, since the two are simply instances of the same identical base node and so operate the same.

- Oshyan

The nodes were configured exactly the same, except for quality settings...

Oshyan

Precisely, the quality settings will affect the appearance of this issue.

- Oshyan

edlo

Thanks to all for your help, as I replied to Oshyan on the support forum I am finding that moving the camera closer and carefully adjusting the FOV eliminates the problem, sadly affecting the original composition hence just a workaround...hopefully this will be solved in the upcoming release.
Being that camera positioning helps, I am guessing this does not have to do with render settings maybe a weird bug.

Oshyan

Camera positioning effects it because it changes where the boundaries of render tiles will be with respect to the displacement. When extreme displacement significantly crosses a render tile (the sections that the renderer works in - you can see it go in large square sections while it works), the displacement may get cut off because its origin is in another render tile and the current tile doesn't know about the results of other tiles to be rendered later. Changing the camera position will affect how the render tile boundaries dirivde up the the scene being rendered and whether an extreme displacement crosses such a boundary. Rendering with crops or flipping the camera upside down (then reverting in an image editor) may also help.

- Oshyan