2D

Started by rcallicotte, January 04, 2008, 08:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Would we be able to have billboards supported by the time the final comes out or is this even something on Planetside's list of things to do?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Surely they are already supported, billboards just an object after all.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Basic billboard support is encompassed by the object system, as calico mentioned. More specific billboard functionality, such as auto-camera facing, may be included in the future but will not be a part of the final release.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Can I ask a rather basic question: What is the difference between Bill-Boards and Instances and when is each used? Just interested in the differentiation of terms!

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

zionner

Noobier Question: What are Bill-Board amd Instances when your talking about TG 2

sonshine777

Quote from: zionner on January 04, 2008, 08:37:32 PM
Noobier Question: What are Bill-Board amd Instances when your talking about TG 2

They are like cardboard cutouts of trees, used to put trees in the distance they look like trees but don't use an much memory to render.

Cyber-Angel

That means that they would be view dependent and would have to be recalculated any time you changed the sun position or camera angle! That sounds like they'd be real pains to work with, I can understand needing them in game engines but why have them in an engine designed for production rendering?

Are there not more effective optimization paths such as Octtrees and BSP for scene handling?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

Oshyan

Billboards are 2D images, usually loaded from pre-computed textures or photos, which are used in place of 3D models for faster rendering. They are usually used at a distance where their lower realism is less noticeable. They usually have to be set to always face the camera as seeing them side-on would betray their 2D nature. Billboards are considered a form of "sprite", a basic graphics primitive. A quote from Wikipedia:

"More often sprite now refers to a partially transparent two dimensional animation that is mapped onto a special plane in a 3D scene. Unlike a texture map, the sprite plane is always perpendicular to the axis emanating from the camera. The image can be scaled to simulate perspective, rotated two dimensionally, overlapped with other objects, and be occluded, but it can only be viewed from the same angle. This rendering method is also referred to as billboarding."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Not just supported, but a 2D object under the Objects module.

Quote from: cyphyr on January 04, 2008, 08:23:15 PM
Surely they are already supported, billboards just an object after all.
Richard

Oshyan

This is little different from the Plane object, which is already available. You can even make populations of planes. The camera-facing functionality is probably the major lacking feature.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Oshyan, does this mean it's possible to create our own billboards utilizing the Plane object?  If so, I'm beginning to assume how it would be accomplished.  I might need to ask questions, if I get lost.

Quote from: Oshyan on January 05, 2008, 01:48:27 PM
This is little different from the Plane object, which is already available. You can even make populations of planes. The camera-facing functionality is probably the major lacking feature.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Potentially...

- Oshyan

Quote from: calico on January 05, 2008, 11:40:12 PM
Oshyan, does this mean it's possible to create our own billboards utilizing the Plane object?  If so, I'm beginning to assume how it would be accomplished.  I might need to ask questions, if I get lost.

Quote from: Oshyan on January 05, 2008, 01:48:27 PM

- Oshyan

RealUser

If billboards will be implemented in the future, it would be perfect if they work in the following way:
1. use billboards from a certain distance to the camera
2. color, size and image variations
3. face to camera (that has been mentioned here already I know)
4. pre-rendered animations for movements and other changes (spring to autumn) in the distant trees
5. is it useful to have images from different angles for the trees? (birds-view, front-view ect) or is that not necessary for distant trees?
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

zionner

Quote from: Oshyan on January 05, 2008, 02:52:06 AM
Billboards are 2D images, usually loaded from pre-computed textures or photos, which are used in place of 3D models for faster rendering. They are usually used at a distance where their lower realism is less noticeable. They usually have to be set to always face the camera as seeing them side-on would betray their 2D nature. Billboards are considered a form of "sprite", a basic graphics primitive. A quote from Wikipedia:

"More often sprite now refers to a partially transparent two dimensional animation that is mapped onto a special plane in a 3D scene. Unlike a texture map, the sprite plane is always perpendicular to the axis emanating from the camera. The image can be scaled to simulate perspective, rotated two dimensionally, overlapped with other objects, and be occluded, but it can only be viewed from the same angle. This rendering method is also referred to as billboarding."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)

- Oshyan

Thanks for the explination

Oshyan

Quote from: RealUser on January 06, 2008, 06:15:47 AM
If billboards will be implemented in the future, it would be perfect if they work in the following way:
1. use billboards from a certain distance to the camera
2. color, size and image variations
3. face to camera (that has been mentioned here already I know)
4. pre-rendered animations for movements and other changes (spring to autumn) in the distant trees
5. is it useful to have images from different angles for the trees? (birds-view, front-view ect) or is that not necessary for distant trees?

Most of this is standard for a proper billboard system. If and when we do support billboards explicitly, these kinds of features should be included.

- Oshyan