NEED HELP - Population Problem...

Started by Stormlord, July 07, 2023, 01:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

In my scene I try to spread gras over my landscape, mostly at a beach.
When I generate a population with gras patches, they are propelry displayed green wireframes blocks in my viewport,
But when I render this view, they do not show up my rendering ?
Problem.jpg 
I simply do not understand what is wrong?

STORMLORD

Kevin Kipper

Hi Stormlord,

Can we take a look at the TGD file?

Double check the settings for the grass clump node itself.  Make sure it's enabled, set to visible, etc.

Even though you see the bounding boxes in the 3D Preview, are the grass clumps big enough to see at this distance.  Perhaps they're to thin or not enough of them to see at this distance?

Stormlord

THX for your reply.
If you look carefully, you can see that the gras node is enabled
(Also when enabled, the wireframe is visible. If diabled, then the wireframe of the gras clusters disapear...)

To make it more specific...
Some clusters are rendered (look at the first arrow, the one at the top), its poing to an area, where the gras clusters are clearly rendered.
In the middle of the bay, where the most of the gras is populated, there are none gras patches rendered???

I made another second attempt to make it more clear...

Problem - SCREENSHOT.jpg
Screenshot, the gras population this time in red and yellow (2 populations)

Problem - Rendering.jpg
Rendering, left at the top the rendered gras population, below and right, none is rendered

I really have no idea?

STORMLORD

STORMLORD

Dune

A tgd would indeed be helpful, if only with the basics. The pop is masked by a pf so it won't cover all of the beach, but it's strange indeed that it doesn't show up at all. Is the pop sitting on the final beach ground? Is the object opacity set to 1?
I can't remember which grass it is, but it might indeed be very thin and hardly visible from this distance. Some of my grasses were pretty big as an obj and needed reducing, others needed spacing of 0.2-0.5 or so.
If you read from a cache and the cache is deleted it won't show up at all I presume.
And what happens if you replace the object within the pop by another base object, say a polysphere? Do they show up?

Stormlord

Thank you Ulco

I used your gras patch and a test rendering was sucessful.
The proportion and the scale of the gras patch is correct ! The men is exactly 1.8m high.

Grass Patch 1 by Dune - True Scale.jpg
Grass Patch 1 by Dune.jpg 

I used exactely the same tgo to render my scene, but it failed, for whatever reason?

Next I elliminated all other settings and cleaned up the whole scene to exclude all possible faults.
Then I made a simple cube as a .tgd in 3dsmax and used the same population file which has beeen used before for the gras patches.
The cubes are rendered as they should, but with the gras, I ran into trouble...?

Problem TGD - SCREENSHOT2.jpg
Screenshot, same scene (cleaned up, pure setings with cubes as tgo instead of gras patches)
Problem TGD - RENDERING2.jpg 
Successfully rendered with cubes, but it doesnt work with gras patches ?

STORMLORD

Mahnmut

Hi,
when I imagine each pink test cube replaced by a square of thin grass as shown in the reference with the 1.8 m man, that would be not much grass at all. I could also imagine that the grass patches sit slightly below surface displacements, you could try increasing the vertical position value for the grass instance a little bit. I remember that helped me in a similar case.
Best Regrds,
J

Dune

Yes, that may well be the problem, the thinnes of the blades. Did you look up close in the viewport whether any grass is visible at the beach? And what if you replace (which you might as well for a distant view such as this) with the internal grass?

Made a quick example of how I sometimes use the internal grass....

Stormlord

Yes you're right Ulco, it's the thinness of the blades. That's why!
I replaced your grass clumps with the internal grass clumps as you recommend, now the grass is visible :-)

THX for your help guys.
THX Mahmut, I learned something new from your answer!

Problem TGO - Glas Clumps.jpg

STORMLORD

Dune

Great. Looking forward to seeing the final!

Stormlord

YES, stay tuned...

SCREENSHOT.jpg 

So far...

STORMLORD