Lake Tahoe in 4K - Revisited with my new PC

Started by Stormlord, July 14, 2023, 10:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

I posted for a longer period of time no new pictures due to my old computer which was an Intel Quadcore 2.66Mhz with only 7GB of RAM.
Renderings lasted too long, my common render resolutions was 1920x1080, RAM too tiny, ect, ect...

Now I have purchased an older used but brandnew looking and cheap Intel i9-9900K with 8 cores and upgraded it with an RTX 3080 and 128GB RAM, including a brand new 4K monitor.

Anyway...
To make a long story short, now my render times are 614% faster, RAM now nearly inexhaustible, everything runs smooth and operating this machine is a real pleasure.

First I made a revisit of my older Lake Tahoe scene and reworked it a little bit here and there.
So here is a fresh new 4K rendering of a new location in the scene, which I call "Paradise Bay".

Lakes and Small Mountains 4K Paradise Bay (Sailingship Moonlight).jpg
Lake Tahoe (Paradise Bay) in 4K

This is surely not a final because there is room for improvements, but for now it is fine.
So I hope you like it !

STORMLORD

(THX Dune for your help to find a solution for my grass patch problem)

RogueNZ

Very nice, nothing beats getting a PC upgrade!

Dune

That must be such a relief and pleasure seeing TG rendering now! Congratulations.

schmeerlap

A wonderfully composed scene, very picturesque.
And pleased to hear of your hardware upgrade (my first computer had 128K RAM, to paraphrase Mary Hopkins: those were the days my friend.)
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Stormlord

Quote from: Dune on July 15, 2023, 02:11:38 AMThat must be such a relief and pleasure seeing TG rendering now! Congratulations.
You're so right, Ulco!
Now I really enjoy working with TG and doing previews to find the correct settings. On my old PC I rendered 640x360 of this scene in around 12–13 minutes with Quality 0.5 and AA 4.
Rendering a HDMI Resolution with 1920x1080 and high settings took mostly something around 15-18 hours! Aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh...

The classic TG Benchmark scene for TG 3.0 has been made with my old machine in 20 Minutes and 11 seconds with TG 4.1.25.
This is Rank 294 of 323... (Aeeehhh...). The same scene now needs only 3 Minutes and 29 seconds! That's not the fastest machine, but it makes a huge difference for me.

Lakes and Small Mountains 4K Paradise Bay (Sailingship Moonlight) Zoom.jpg
Lake Tahoe (Paradise Bay) in 4K

Now its so much enjoyable!
Thank you schmeerlap for you're nice compliment :-)

STORMLORD