CHAT GPT 4.0 plugins

Started by xpez2000, July 16, 2023, 10:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xpez2000

Has anyone considered creating a plugin for Terragen using CHat GPT 4.0?

I have no idea how to do it but apparently this is supposed to be not a huge issue with the latest Chat GPT since it can crank out code for many things.

Productivity tools like an geo-mesh auto tiler /batch render  and FBX importer that links textures so you dont have to do it manually would be awesome -If I had to imagine some new plugins to create. 

Would something like this be ok to do or is it not possible???

Kevin Kipper

Hi xpez2000,

You could create productivity tools like you've described using Python or another programming language. 

You could also use chatGPT as tool to help you understand and write certain parts of that code within the programing language of your choice.  For example, I recently delved into the principles behind the math involved in a 4 x 4 matrix, an approach which Terragen uses when saving population caches in popxml format. ChatGPT help me understand the nuances involved and was like having an instructor available to answer my questions as they arose. 

On my Windows desktop I have a couple of batch (.bat) files for batch rendering Terragen projects overnight.  They are basically text files, so there's no reason that a productivity tool couldn't be written in Python, for example, to generate the batch files themselves. 

Terragen 4 Professional now includes a Remote Procedure Call (RPC) feature which allows third party programs to communicate with the open Terragen project.  A geo-mesh auto tiler application could probably be coded to do this, that is load and manipulate the position of said geo-mesh.  I'm not sure about an FBX importer, but more to the point, you could definitely write a program that looks at the MTL file associated with an OBJ formatted object and write out a Terragen clip file with the image textures assigned to the proper inputs of a Default shader.  The clip file could then be loaded into the internal node network of the OBJ within Terragen.  I've done this sort of thing to "transfer" surface material settings from Daz 3D assets in OBJ format to Terragen, which can be a big timesaver if an OBJ has a lot of surfaces.

Be sure to take a look at the recent blogs we've posted about Terragen RPC here:
https://planetside.co.uk/blog/hello-rpc-part-1-scripting-for-terragen/
https://planetside.co.uk/blog/hello-rpc-part-2-error-handling/

xpez2000

Thanks for the feedback. I want to experiment and try to build something. 8)