Above All **HQ UPDATE**

Started by dhavalmistry, January 03, 2008, 12:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

Basically, this is a rock test turned into a final....

I am working on adding more snow and better clouds and some other minor adjustments
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Very cool rock shapes. I especially like how the snow fills those cracky surfaces. Did you use intersect underlying settings for this, or masking with the functions?
Looks very good. It seems you didn't change any gamma and contrast settings in the renderer? It has a bit of a haze all over it.
Reducing gamma and increasing contrast a little will spice the render up a lot.

Martin

dhavalmistry

yea I used intersect underlying feature and yes I didnt touch any contrast or gamma settings...I left them as default....and yes I turned up the haze...I have another render in progress with reduced haze....

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 03, 2008, 01:14:15 PM
yea I used intersect underlying feature and yes I didnt touch any contrast or gamma settings...I left them as default....and yes I turned up the haze...I have another render in progress with reduced haze....

I guess you misunderstood me a little bit on the haze. The haze should remain the same because it gives a nice sense of depth to your image. Reducing the gamma to about 1.75 and increasing contrast to about 1.35 removes the hazy look in the foreground, making your image a lot more clearer without losing the sense of depth which you'll obviously lose when reducing haze.

How did you determine which kind of intersect underlying mode you had to use and its settings? It's still a mystery to me how this feature works and what it exactly does. The latter I know a little about, but the settings...?

dhavalmistry

the settings were default but I used "Displacement Intersection" for intersection type since I have some displacements applied to the rock.

I dont understand this feature completely either but favor rises distributes the surface layer in a way that all the dents/cracks/gashes on the surface are ignored and its vice versa with favour depressions. But I think these two features are calculated based on actual terrain and ignoring all lateral the displacements. Where as displacement intersection is calculated based on everything applied including all the lateral displacements. But I could be as much wrong as I could be right.

To better understand the feature you can apply this feature without turning on any slope/height limits....just default surface layer with intersect underlying feature turned on....

rcallicotte

I like what you're doing and hope we see the final...maybe with tomorrow's final...eh?  Eh?  Eh?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

NWsenior07

This should turn out quite nice. I really like your use of the intersect underlying to get the snow into the cracks.

Will

Nice shot, I like how its composed. nice clouds
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

moodflow

@Dhaval.  Those clouds look pretty good.  I think the mountain texture looks nice, but could use some color and texture variety to spice it up a bit.  The haze is nearly perfect.

@Tangled:  Thanks for the tip on the gamma and contrast for haze tuning.  I've had some trouble getting haze to work properly.  Its either too much or too little, and this should help.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

thanx guys....I am not home right now but when I get home in about an hour or so...I should have the other render done with modified contrast/gamma settings and also an extra layer of snow....

dhavalmistry

changed the gamma to 1.95 and contrast to 0.75

and a new snow layer...

Oshyan

rcallicotte

Ooooh.  DH, this looks good.  Now, let's see it bigger and maybe a little higher quality.

And this is just me, but I somehow want to see that first crag a bit closer. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

thanx Oshyan & calico...I am rendering a HQ version (1360 x 768) at 0.7 quality and its almost done! maybe couple of more hours

Quote from: calico on January 04, 2008, 09:56:16 AM
And this is just me, but I somehow want to see that first crag a bit closer. 

or maybe you are just craving for a higher quality!  :D

child@play

awesome image dhav, can't wait to see the final final  :)
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out