A small lot of serenity high above !

Started by pclavett, September 26, 2023, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Hi guys ! Have been toying with Blender a lot over the last 6 months, learning how to use it mostly. I have been working on this station for months with bits and pieces found on the Artstation site and about 80% of my own creation. Finished with a model that was several GBs in size, 39 different textures in the obj. model, lots of luminous objects, 750,000 triangles/faces. Had several crashes manipulating the thing...... so now know the limits of my old Macpro. To be able to use some of the veggies tgo so well handled in Terragen, I fitted the station with a top botanical garden of sorts with thousands of trees. It will help clean the air, produce cheap oxygen for those living there and permit the inhabitants to enjoy a stroll in nature ! The top disk with the plants is just over a kilometer in diameter and has several pavement alleys. I include a render of the station and a view from the botanical gardens with a camera smack in the middle. The difficult thing to get that latter render was lighting. Besides a sun, an AO and a GI, there are 5 light sources for the gardens and 1 for the Enterprise-D that decides to breeze in for a closer look. Hope you enjoy and take care all ! Paul

Mahnmut

Great renders!
I just finished reading "The Overstory" by Richard Powers, and your renders as much as anything I ever did with TG fit his apt observation:
People find solace in simulated nature while loosing their connection to the real trees.
Best Regards as always
J

Stormlord

Beautiful Idea and scenery.
I have 3DsMax 2009 but didn't work with Blender. But over the years the program gets better and better. Maybe in the next future, I will start to operate and work a little with it.

Nevertheless, great starter for a nice Sci-Fi scenery.
To be a little bit constructive, the clouds on earth didn't look 3d, more 2D imo. But I also know from own experience with my earth, it is hard to get the clouds real looking 3D!
May I ask how much RAM do you have on your machine? Sounds if it is hard to go on with such a monster file.

STORMLORD

schmeerlap

It's all come together nicely. I'm reminded immediately of the film Silent Running with Bruce Dern.  :)
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

pixelpusher636

Really nice work Paul! I'd imagine this was quite frustrating to work on with the crashing and what have ya! Not sure on how old your MacPro is or the specs but I'm dealing with the same type of scene with lots of heavy models and textures. I think I'm learning patience most of all.  :) I'm seriously considering upgrading my MacPro from a 4,1 to a 5,1. So I can enjoy some new hardware upgrades etc. 
Again great work! Is that star burst done in TG or a post effect?
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.