Favor request -- need Maya files converted to obj

Started by sboerner, October 26, 2023, 04:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

I have a big favor to ask.

A client has asked me to revise a project that I made years ago with Maya. Unfortunately I no longer have Maya installed. When I switched to Blender, I converted many project files to obj so they could be ported over but, unfortunately, not this one.

Would someone be able to do the file conversion for me? I'm not used to asking for favors like this, but if the files can't be converted the job won't get done. There are six .ma files, all 10MB or less except for one 120MB file. I can send via Dropbox, source files only with no linked assets. Basic .obj will be fine; the files contain no animation or cameras, etc. (I would like the material groups to be retained.)

Thanks.

KlausK

Hi, couldn`t you just download a 30 day trial and use that? Or a 1 month subscription if budget allows?
It`s kind of annoying, I know, but that would get the job done, at least.

Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

sboerner

Thanks for the suggestion, Klaus. I doubt that the client (academic) will want to spring for the price of a one-month subscription. It's a small job. Plus I spent the  better part of a year disentangling myself from the Autodesk universe and would like to keep it that way if I can. But it could be a last resort.

Dune

KlausK

Quote from: sboerner on October 27, 2023, 12:00:31 PMPlus I spent the  better part of a year disentangling myself from the Autodesk universe and would like to keep it that way if I can
Good choice I`d say ;)

If you want to, send me a file link via PM for a test. I can give it a try. I am not familiar with Maya (anymore) - especially the part about groups of materials. My last encounter was with version 2000 something or so. Long time ago. But I should be able to figure it out.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

Since Dune mentioned it a quick google search brought up this:
https://products.aspose.app/3d/conversion/ma-to-obj

and there were a few others as well. Perhaps they do the job well enough?

CHeers, Klaus

sboerner

Klaus --

I tried the link and got an error ("unsupported file") even though it was a legit .ma file. Maybe too old? It's from 2015. I did a Google search and checked out a couple of others . . . they just looked slightly shady to me. Any website with large buttons that say "Click here" (or equivalent) with little explanation of how the site works is a red flag for me. (Aspose seems legit and had thorough EULA and privacy policies.) Sorry I guess I'm just getting wary in my old age.  :)

If you don't mind trying I'd really appreciate it. I'll send you a link to the files via DM. (I use Dropbox to transfer large files, but you do not need to have a Dropbox account.) Maybe try one to see how it works? If I remember correctly the .obj export from Maya is pretty straightforward. Depending on the version there may be an option for material groups. Can't remember.

Thank you!
Steve

KlausK

sboerner

Klaus --

Perfect! The files imported fine into Blender and all of the shading groups are intact. Thank you!

The additional PovRay files seem identical, except the geometry has been triangulated. Did you make any other adjustments? The original .obj files work fine, so maybe that additional step isn't necesssary?

Steve

KlausK

No problem. Glad it worked. 
The only thing I did was to open the files in Maya and exported as obj.
Maya did write a empty mtl file, that`s why I loaded and exported the obj in PovRay.
If you have PovRay installed you could do that as well if needed.
OK, I`ll do the other files then as well.
Should I upload anywhere else? I do not have any account for dropbox or something like that.

CHeers, Klaus

sboerner

Yep I have PovRay and can do that if needed. 

I'll DM my email. The compressed .obj files should be small enough to send as attachments.