Importing Nulls from Cinema 4d

Started by ManuelMaxl, November 15, 2023, 07:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManuelMaxl

Hello,

i'm new to Terragen and have the following problem.
I tried to export animated nulls and an animated camera from Cinema 4D via fbx-export into Terragen 4.
I have baked all keyframes before exporting (position rotation and scale)
When i import the .fbx file the camera shows up with animation keyframes, but NOT the null objects. 

I followed the steps from this beginners tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNIByFSoqNY)
I' tried exporting from Cinema 4d v2023 and v2024.

This task should be easy - what am i missing here?

Manuel

Kevin Kipper

Hi Manuel,

From your description, it sounds like you're doing it correctly.

I assume you're importing the FBX file via the Main Menu > File > Import FBX Scene option, and the checkbox for "Import Markers & Nulls" is checked on the FBX Import: Scene window that pops-up.  The baked null objects should show up in the Objects Node List and as nodes in the Node Network pane.

Have you tried to import the FBX file back into Cinema 4D to make sure that the nulls are actually in the FBX file?  

Also, and I don't suspect this is the case, but your null object should not be a one point poly object, or Terragen will not see it as a null object, but rather geometry and ignore it during the FBX import process.

Lastly, can you send us the FBX so we can take a look at it too?

ManuelMaxl

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your reply.
Yes i imported it via "Import FBX Scene" and had the checkbox checked.
And i also re-imported my FBX into Cinema 4d to check - the null objects were still there.
And they are real "Null Objects".

I attached a FBX test file i made. It has only the most basic elements: 1 null, 1 camera and 1 light 
all animated with baked position, rotation and scale keyframes.

I also attached a screenshot of terragen after i imported my fbx file.

Kevin Kipper

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for providing the FBX file.  I've been able to recreate your example and we'll look into this.

In the meantime, would it be possible to export the FBX file in another version, then try to load that into Terragen?  For example, it appears the FBX file was saved as 2020.1, so maybe try an earlier version date.

I was able to load the FBX with nulls in Blender 3.6, but in Fusion Studio 17 only the camera and light imported.

ManuelMaxl

Hi Kevin,

thanks for looking into it, but i think i found a workaround for now (a little laborious though).
I can import the FBX file into Blender and then export it again.
The null object from the Blender FBX seems to import correctly into Terragen.