snow (because it's winter)

Started by Dune, December 09, 2023, 11:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Well, what can I say? Small landscape with some snow remains and some veggies. Displacement intersected. Yes, a few branches protruding rock, but well...

schmeerlap

Very nice Ulco, and very photorealistic.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

PreRenderedDev

Love the sparkle effect on the snow, I'm working on a Mountain peak scene, how'd you make that?

Stormlord

Quote from: PreRenderedDev on December 09, 2023, 02:01:19 PMLove the sparkle effect on the snow, I'm working on a Mountain peak scene, how'd you make that?
Probably a refelction shader with small dots (sparcles 0.001) as mask I guess...

Very realistic snow Ulco!
Superb render...

STORMLORD

Dune

Dirk is right. I have the overall snow with a soft reflection, and after that a surface shader, masked by tiny (0.01) fake stones with smallish density (0.1 or so), and a reflection shader as child. The fake stone shader acts as a very sharp mask, and is masked by a distance (10m or so) shader. The latter is quite important, or you'll have very sparkling areas very far, which is awful.
You'll have to play with values to test the best per scene.

PreRenderedDev

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2023, 01:34:20 AMDirk is right. I have the overall snow with a soft reflection, and after that a surface shader, masked by tiny (0.01) fake stones with smallish density (0.1 or so), and a reflection shader as child. The fake stone shader acts as a very sharp mask, and is masked by a distance (10m or so) shader. The latter is quite important, or you'll have very sparkling areas very far, which is awful.
You'll have to play with values to test the best per scene.
Also, how do you make the snow rise in comparison with the rest of the terrain? Is it like an adjust vertical shader or something?

Dune

You could add a displacing power fractal to the snow surface displacement tab. Set color roughness to 1 or less, and size not too small or big, and unclamp. That's the simplest way.