Altocumulus type clouds on the ground, not limited by min height

Started by PreRenderedDev, December 10, 2023, 07:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreRenderedDev

I want to make an alien landscape with rolling thunder clouds on the ground, and they ought to be altocumulus clouds, but I also want them to be lowered to the ground, and to still keep their shape. Easy clouds don't do the job since they don't have the shape I would want. Is there a workaround for this one? Maybe I could transfer the cloud data from one to another using some way?

Dune

Thundercloud clouds are one of the hardest things to achieve. Did you search for 'thunderclouds' here? There might be samples, or advice in older threads. Great clouds have been a constant queeste.
I would say, you should start out with generic v3 clouds. They are the nicest and will keep their shape if you lower them (if you tick the box 'move textures with cloud'). Try a negative noise variation, like -0.3 or -0.4, no base whispyness or softness, and hit seed until you have a desired shape, then try subtle changes in buoyancy, clumping, etc. Increase edge sharpness too.

PreRenderedDev

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2023, 09:04:39 AMThundercloud clouds are one of the hardest things to achieve. Did you search for 'thunderclouds' here? There might be samples, or advice in older threads. Great clouds have been a constant queeste.
I would say, you should start out with generic v3 clouds. They are the nicest and will keep their shape if you lower them (if you tick the box 'move textures with cloud'). Try a negative noise variation, like -0.3 or -0.4, no base whispyness or softness, and hit seed until you have a desired shape, then try subtle changes in buoyancy, clumping, etc. Increase edge sharpness too.
While I do like the v3 shape, it's not what I'd want to have in the scene. Here's the v3:
https://ibb.co/x360TKf
And here's what I want:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g8rdEx

Do I transfer some data or something? Are there any shaders that make the desired clouds look like that?

Dune

I'm sorry, but I'm not clicking the first link. As I said, it's pretty hard to get those kind of clouds. It needs experimentation. Other users may know something.

PreRenderedDev

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2023, 10:53:58 AMI'm sorry, but I'm not clicking the first link. As I said, it's pretty hard to get those kind of clouds. It needs experimentation. Other users may know something.
Yeah, I'll probably just have to play around, that's how I learnt Terragen in the first place, and that's how most of us learnt it. I'll update this thread if I have a breakthrough in v3 clouds. I kinda dislike working with them because there are so many functions in them, it's good, but I still have bad memories from Terragen 2, when v3 clouds were the most you could get in quality.