sloping altitude measurement?

Started by Dune, December 15, 2023, 06:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I can't figure something out, and it may be terribly simple. I have a height tif, raising an island. Now I need to have the upper 1m layer of the ground in a different color (topsoil). I can't use altitude constraints directly for obvious reasons (it would be a straight line). 

I've tried warping a distribution shader (not final of course) by the tif, tried all sorts of displacement to scalar, color adjust, warp, vector displacement of the tif combinations... everything. Nothing works.

So any ideas are welcome!

schmeerlap

Quote from: Dune on December 15, 2023, 06:20:42 AMit may be terribly simple.
I can only be of help if it is terribly terribly simple. You know how you add a thick layer of snow on the ground with a surface layer with displacement. Would that give you the topsoil layer you're after?
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Dune

No, is the quick answer. There should be another way.

Stormlord

I'm not an expert, but could normal and flip lead you to a solution?
https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Visualise_Normal

STORMLORD

aknight0

aknight0

Or can you use the tif as a mask, and shrink it just a bit?  Here's a simple shape shader masked with a slightly smaller simple shape shader.

Dune

Thanks for thinking along, guys. But those options won't work. It's a cliffy island, so a reduced tiff won't be very precise.

Anyway, I found the solution. I thought I had it somewhere in the back of my brain, some part I didn't use for a while :P I did use this method before, many years ago, I vaguely remember. It is indeed very simple.