Converting models from other 3D formats into TGO's

Started by Stormlord, February 06, 2024, 09:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

I have some trouble converting models from other Software formats into TGO's.
Usually I work with .max files from 3D Studiomax.

I use this software to scale, give them good materials and then I export the models as OBJ.
Before re-importing into TG, I manipulate the .mtl texture paths to make them absolute.
Then from inside TG I import the OBJ and save it as a TGO. So far so good... it works well...

But while converting my ships some objects are darker than others and I simply do not understand why?
To find out, I mixed both ships into one scene to have the same lightning condition and this is the result.

Example:
I used in the max models, the same material settings for the flag and the rest of common materials like metals or wood for my ships before exporting.
I looked inside the parts shader. Here I use the same settings for the flags of both ships, but one flag comes out darker than the other???

Example Scene.jpg
Example scene

Could this be a problem of misaligned normals in the mesh?
I tried to find a solution, but didn't find one.
I probably have to adjust each model and each material inside the parts shader manually to align them all.

Second question while converting models.
In the example above I used the standard setting.

Do you have a good idea for a good lightning of a model?
Did one of you guys out there build a lightning rig or have another solution for TG?

Questions over questions...

STORMLORD

Doug

could you please gives us an example of the

" manipulate the .mtl texture paths to make them absolute "

i have not heard of this

Dune

I think sometimes there are normals that have some link to something. I realize this sounds very weird and vague, but I do see that in Lightwave occasionally. I take out the link and it's better. Sometimes I have to flip certain vertices in LW, and if it's a lot, I just duck :P
I also take most of my objects through Poseray and recalculate  (after welding and setting angle - flat or smooth or in between, per part) normals. That usually helps a lot.
Or you could try Meshlab, see if it can recalculate/allign normals.
So Poseray may be your first try.

Stormlord

Quote from: Doug on February 06, 2024, 09:22:00 AMcould you please gives us an example of the
" manipulate the .mtl texture paths to make them absolute "
 i have not heard of this

-> I HAVE ALWAYS ALL TEXTURES FOR AN OBJECT IN THE SAME FOLDER OF THIS OBJECT!!!
SO WHEN I LOAD A TREE, THE TEXTURES (IMAGES) FOR THE LEAF, TRUNK, ROOT ECT. ARE STORED IN THE SAME FOLDER!!!

If you convert (cutoff the full paths (G:\3D Meshlib...) and leave the name of the texure for itself, then Terragen looks for the image (texture file) in your folder, were the obj is loaded from.
That's why I do it this way.

Here is how....
When you export an object as an OBJ, then my obj exporter from within 3dsmax creates 2 files.
One of the data itself (the .obj where the polygon data is stored) and another one with the same name with the material definitions (the .mtl file).

The material definition file (.mtl) can be edited before you import the OBJ into TG.

Normally then you save then the .obj as a .tgo for further use. So when you save the tgo, the paths where the textures are loaded from are saved as well.
If you convert (cutoff the full paths (G:\3D Meshlib...) and leave the name of the texure for itself, then Terragen looks for the textures in the folder, where the tgo is loaded from.
So later on, you just have to copy the folder with the .obj (and the .tgo) and all your texture in this folder wherever you like.
The next time you load your TGO TG is loading the textures from this directory directly. That's the big advantage.

So just convert a path like this...
"C:\Windows\MySuperDuperIMAGEFileBase\ect\blaandblupp\Image.bmp"
-> into just
Image.bmp

So first edit the .mtl, then saved it, second import your OBJ file, third save from within TG the file as TGO (and no path is saved because they're all relative).
So when you load with TG the next time your .tgo, it loads the images from the directory directly, where the .tgo is loaded (TG thinks... oh... no path here..., ok, so I try to load it from this directory)

OBJ Export and editing the mtl file.jpg
Screenshot

STORMLORD

Stormlord

Quote from: Dune on February 06, 2024, 09:44:08 AMI think sometimes there are normals that have some link to something. I realize this sounds very weird and vague, but I do see that in Lightwave occasionally. I take out the link and it's better. Sometimes I have to flip certain vertices in LW, and if it's a lot, I just duck :P
I also take most of my objects through Poseray and recalculate  (after welding and setting angle - flat or smooth or in between, per part) normals. That usually helps a lot.
Or you could try Meshlab, see if it can recalculate/allign normals.
So Poseray may be your first try.
Yes, I made the same experience.
Sometimes normals of faces flip or rotate in a strange way, whyever...

Usually before saving an edited object finally, I use a normal modificator to align all normals of the object one final time again.
Usually all is good after doing so. Usually!!! I think, this went wrong in my special case. I have to apply it manually how I like the flag ect.
I need 2 more ships to edit and then I'm ready to push my pacific island scene onto another level!
So stay tuned, I give an update soon...

STORMLORD

Doug

Dune

So you end up with a lot of copies of your textures in folders 'belonging to' one object.
If textures are a mix of all in one or a few files files (wood and flags and iron, etc in one UVmap), then that works fine, but if you use generic textures, as I mostly do, it's better to have one big database of textures, and call them from there. Of course I know space is cheap nowadays, but still. Anyway, that's what I do.

Stormlord

Well... that's the way I do it.
But usually you have not all the same textures for one object.

I bought two 9TB HD's for 350€ recently... so what...
I just copy my folder and I'm ready to go!

STORMLORD

Dune