coastal cliffs

Started by Dune, February 19, 2024, 02:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Some experimentation on a free day. Interesting to see that using an image map for rock displacement is way faster than trying to mimic it procedurally. Logical perhaps, as the image has already been calculated.
And not much difference between RT and PT in this setup, but in time.

Stormlord

Test 1 is the most convincing, very good appearance. Also Test 7 looks good.
Great rocks, wish I had them for my island. How did you make them?

STORMLORD

schmeerlap

Great study of craggy shoreline cliffs. I use image maps quite often for a quick lateral displacement. By the last 2 renders you've got the reflections on the rock just about bang on to show wet rock: the glary bits on the distant cliffs can be easily toned down post Terragen. Regarding the stud-like protrusions on bottom right of scene, I'm guessing they are actually a colony of birds (puffins perhaps). If so I think you can afford to make them larger so they can be more readily identified as such. their scale will still be OK in relation to bushes on cliff. You may wish to then upscale the boat timbers to keep things in good proportion.
Hope I haven't been too irritatingly picky.  :)
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Dune

They're guillemot. Yes they are small, I should have made the cliffs a bit smaller, or put the cam closer. I don't intend to work anymore on this, it was just experimenting and plunk in some guillies. No, you're not irritatingly annoying and nitpicking  ;)

Dirk; try using a unclamped color PF (use low octave) and haul it through a smooth step. You can play with the color values of the PF (1 can be 3 or more...) to get 'flattened bumps', then be creative with the step inputs (2 and 3). You can use two  constant scalars with values that make the protrusions either flat or rounded, both at bottem end and top. Number 2 at minus a bit, and number 3 at plus 1 upwards. But you can also use PF's for those 2 inputs for some variation. Color values would be more or less the same as the constants, but with some difference, and a scale at which these differences should act. These differences will translate in the breakup of the edges, or (with a more rounded top) extending onto those tops. You can warp the lot too, then use it as displacement value after a compute terrain (after the main terrain is displaced), either by normal or by lateral only (or both). Or add a strata shader somewhere along the line. But it would work best if the main terrain displacement is not overly detailed.
Interesting stuff to play with.

Stormlord

Very interesting stuff! Here I can see the water line, which you gave me as a hint in my pacific island thread.
Thank you very much for your explanation. That's one of the things I will try out... definitely...

STORMLORD

Tangled-Universe

Like the first one best Ulco! As usual there's a lot going on in your work and to appreciate.
The high tide waterline is a nice touch, but a bit too uniform in appearance in the background.
I actually like that pillar-like cliff section on third from the right and personally I'd make a portrait scene of this section in 2:3 ratio.

Dune

Thanks. Yes, the waterline looks okay at front, but is a very hard line in the back. It's supposed to show the level of the drained sea, so pretty high up. Easy enough to soften at the distance and have clear up front, but this was more a rockwall experiment (again), so nothing really serious. The pillar is an accidental outcrop from hard-warping the cliffs, btw.
A portrait might be nice...

Tangled-Universe

Yeah I love that outcrop, it creates depth and interest to the cliff!

pclavett

Awesome displacement on those cliffs ! Just superb work !

Dune

Thanks. Here's the pillar/outcrop, and a new setup using a cube for a wall, which is in fact easier.

pclavett

Amazing displacement and shading on those rocks ! 

Stormlord

I agree, also the idea to have a fallen tree in the scene is very nice.
But I like the rock from "laterals_17-02-24_test 1 PT 58min.jpg" the most.
Great images!

STORMLORD

Upon Infinity

Interesting technique. Great results! I could never get cliffs to work right in TG.