udo command

Started by groverwa, January 04, 2007, 12:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groverwa

it would be nice to have at least one undo step in the TG2 - it would be even better to have more so that we can go back 5 or more undo's

mike belgrove

Tim O'Donoghue

Try this:

Every time you change something, save it.

If you goof, use File > Revert to Saved.

Semi-instant one-step Undo.

crazymonkey

Yeah, learned that the hard way using TG1, now i save everything as i go along, maybe not every step but only a few behind :)

Moose

With the cursor in an input field you can ctrl+z to undo, or right click in the field for a pop-up menu which has an undo option. The undo only toggles back and forth between undo and redo though - it's not multiple undos (which I quite like, as mostly you're comparing values). This will work for as many parameters as needed, but once you bring up the settings pane for a new node (not included floating panes) then the undo memory is wiped. Sorry if this was already obvious...

Aside: - it'd be great if as part of the menu options for each node's parameter, there was an option to save and recall the current value as a preset (perhaps even 2 or 3 presets?) which remained local to that node instance. I know that you can already save out nodes as clips, but that's more of a permanent action. I'm thinking here that being able to quickly save and recall presets would speed things up when experimenting with settings - no need to keep them around permanently once you've found something that you like.

:)

groverwa

Moose

thanks for the reply - i will give your suggestions a try - my original posting should have stated that it was part of a wish list for the final version of TG2

mike

Oshyan

We do intend to implement more Undo functionality for the final release. It's not yet clear how far that will extend or how many levels we can provide, but it will deifinitely be an improvement over what we have now.

I like the preset idea (similar to World Machine). This is definitely something we'll be looking at.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

People (especially software reviewers) seem to expect unlimited Undo/ Redo now days in their 3D software, and I throat this was common practice now days. If the level of undo was unlimited, people may feel more inclined to experiment more once the stability and render optimization issues are attended to. Some kind of history should also be available as well.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

rcallicotte

Most software that I've used hasn't had infinite undo capability...that's about impossible in some cases, if not impractical.

Level undo like in Photoshop where you can see it and undo it at any level (to a point) is nice.  But, whatever works.  I'm more concerned with actually seeing the important things attended to first. 

I appreciate what we have and where we will be when this fine crew jets us to the next level.  Bingo!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

buchvecny

i actually think Terragen 2 could use infinite undo, since TG2 files are very small and contain relatively low amounth of information compared to photoshop which uses all your ram and 4GB on disc to get history working because the filesize goes to 100mb ok that was long sentence i hope u get what i mean lol