Displacement, again

Started by Alfamike, January 11, 2008, 05:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfamike

Hello die-hards,

I'm bordering on not posting on this subject again, but have read the posts in the forums and am still struggling with my displacements.

I have a fractal terrain, that goes into a Compute Terrain. I then select area's using slope constraints (which does not work before the Compute Terrain node) and give them a displacement offset only, along the normal.

From then on I cannot get any displacement on the sides. A second Compute Terrain or Compute Normals - after the displacement offset- completely distorts the terrain.

I have reduced the path size in the Compute Terrain (Normal) nodes from 20 to 0.1, quite extreme I think. And - referring to my previous thread on this- I have un- and reinstalled TG.

Hope to hear from you.

All the best.

AM.

rcallicotte

Dude  ;D

What you're going to find, and the faster the better, is that specific changes to the terrain will need to be found by experimentation after you've gone through the provided tutorials.  Planetside and many people here have generously provided tutorials and even files of examples of various terrain manipulation.  Try these.  Exercise humility and learn from what's here already and I'm betting you'll find the answers you're looking for.

Funny, this sounds like a sermon, and I'm sure it could apply to life also, but that's just an accident.  Hope you see what I mean.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

I'm actually wondering if displacement offset creates vertical walls that are difficult or impossible to displace. I'm not sure that's the case but you might consider that your fundamental approach to this isn't really appropriate. A number of people have achieved results similar to what I *think* you're aiming for and their methods are discussed in various threads, some previously referenced. Perhaps if you explain more specifically what your *end goal* is, rather than your method which isn't working, it might be easier to help achieve that.

- Oshyan