cloud samples and rendertime

Started by gastar, January 11, 2008, 06:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Wow, those look impressive.  Almost "smoke thick" like.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

child@play

gastar, just a thought after checking out your tgd, you do set cloud acceleration cache to 'none' when you're going final, don't you?
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

gastar

Hm.... I had create this file with the version 1.8.64.0 and the option was not available at this time. I haven't tested...
Has someone more information about this? Improve the cache only the rendertime or the qualitiy or both?

Gastar
current: AMD 4200+, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB, Geforce 7950 GX2
2010:    AMD Quadcore 3 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, more Space, ...
2015:    256 Core CPU, 16 GB RAM, more then 20 Terrabyte and a 64Bit Terragen Verison...

bigben

I find the quality setting to be easier to deal with than cloud samples because this number of samples for a given quality setting will vary according to other settings in the cloud fractal. This fits in partly with what Oshyan said in his first reply about excessive noise in the cloud's input function.  I usually start by setting the quality to 1 and if the resulting number of samples is excessively high then I tweak the cloud fractal's contrast and roughness settings.

AA is another setting that hasn't appeared in this thread yet. This will also have an impact on the cloud's density fractal.