dandinO

Started by dandelO, January 16, 2008, 02:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

If a tiny banana is called a banino ( http://dandel0.deviantart.com/art/Banino-54649015 ) then, my little planlet is called dandinO. :)

Same little planet as before.

This was a great excercise in scale and double atmospheres! The thing I really needed to do was bring the whole planet, atmo and all, into an indoor scene to accentuate the scaling I've used.

I added the little observatory to the planet and then decided, what if... What if, the little room you're in with the dandinO planet, was INSIDE that little observatory, AND, the view you are looking at is actually from the telescope that you can see just between the yellow shutters... Then I went to bed and just decided it was in a little planetorium, elsewhere in the world. :lol:

Cloud level above surface - 1 metre.

Cloud depth - 0.5 metres.

The ground plane image is from NASA and isn't being commercially used, however, I have taken the liberty of giving myself a constellation. ;)

Harvey Birdman's palm trees are still in there too.

Thanks for looking!

Tangled-Universe

Very nice idea, creativily and well executed!
Excellent work ;D

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

child@play

perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Harvey Birdman

That's pretty wild. Did you create individual light sources for the different (significant) stars?

dandelO

Cheers, folks!

Harvey Birdman: No, there is only one lightsource, our normal sun, there are several different luminosity functions in play though throughout the render, including the starchart image map on the floor, the starfields on either wall and, the 'sand' on the little planet is just a luminosity function applied to the main rock surface of the ground, via an image mask drawn around the waterline of the planet.
There is also some luminosity in the Moon and the 1950's 'rays' from the telecomm's tower.

The ocean is a sphere set just smaller than the planet, the main displacement on the surface creates the ocean 'troughs', this is obviously planetary water coverage as opposed to strategicaly placed circular lake objects, works on large scale too.

Balls of hollow cloud can be rendered this way, something I realised a while ago and haven't posted anywhere...

Create a new planet >> add a cloud layer to it's atmosphere >> uncheck 'render surface' on the new planet's settings. Now you'll render a ball of complete atmosphere, check/uncheck the primary/secondary levels to suit what you need. Could be good for simulating duo-layered clouds, with one cloud layer, if the outer edge of the sphere is outside the camera's FOV... I might play with this idea.

rcallicotte

dandelO, how much is TG2 and how much is postwork?  Pretty cool.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

I'll show you the original render Calico, very little postwork, there's a sharp image tile line on the ground beneath the moon and there is no sand at the pyramids. That's about it really, a little sharpen after those 2 things were taken care of.

rcallicotte

Pretty creative!  Nice work.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

chefc

Nice creativity D. Great imagination and effort, great info on your "hollow cloud process" Thank's for sharing
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)