A Newbie asks: Plants, Tutorials etc...

Started by Nick Versus, January 17, 2008, 08:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Versus

Hi folks!

I hope noone is going to shoot me for what i am asking here...  :-\

First i should say that i am a total newbie in working with terragen 2 deep and that i can't really handle it yet.
I've generally no problems with creating terrains, clouds and stuff like that, but plants really make problems. There is only one single tutorial about plants i found on the web.

The plan:
I just wanted to create a planet surface with a view mountains in the distance and a wood of onyx trees in front of the cam, but it doesn't work yet. My PC's not the problem, it's a quad core with 4 gig ram and a good grafic card.
I have problems with placing the trees (because i can't see 'em on the preview, no matter if i place a single object or a population).

Another question that came to my mind: If i want to create a landscape with very special details, do i have to create it in terragen 0.9? I can't find a function for individual surface editing (raising and lowering terrains) like it has been in the first version.

That's it for now. Maybe there are some more silly questions later on.  ::)

Regards,
Nick

rcallicotte

Trees, single or population:

Single - Locate an XYZ coordinate by placing your mouse over the preview window.  Take these coordinates (I usually leave the mouse over the place, while I type) and type these into the object's Transform's X and Y and Z.

Population - Do the same as above for the general location.  Then, make sure you take the last shader's output (before the Planet) to the input of the population.  The next thing is something I do to make sure I get the area I want.  I take the Y value and up it about 100 or so meters in order to be above the terrain.  I only do this for the population.

Terrain questions abound here.  I recommend finding the texturing tutorial by Volker and check efflux, moodflow or Seth to find some of their input about terrain manipulation.  Many others here are just as capable, but I can't put everyone's name.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?