point light

Started by lonewolf, January 20, 2008, 01:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Love the foreground rocks.  Love the modeling and the lighting.  Great clouds, too.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nikita

Those metallic surfaces look a bit like plastic. But that might also be a matter of taste.
The rock the lighthouse stands on looks really cool.  :)

Mr_Lamppost

While all the elements look fine, nice texturing on the rocks by the way; the scale looks a little off.  My guess is that the lighthouse model is very big.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

nikita

btw Are you going to share your lighthouse with us?
I got a nice idea for an image with that object.

lonewolf

Thanks all for commenting.
Mr_L: The scale does seem a little off. I had to scale up the lighthouse quite a bit to fit the landscape, but I may have overdone it a little.

Nikita: I am going to share the model, I was a little preoccupied making this picture to zip it and ftp it.
Here is the link:
Lighthouse.ziphttp://home.exetel.com.au/iaintarrant/visual_experiences/index.html

Iain

lonewolf

Ok, so here is the dark version of my image. It was going to be a night time image with a beam of light coming from the top of the lighthouse, but I am having difficulty with the beam of light and light coming out from the light box (except when I use ray traced shadows, which multiplies the render time by 5, so my 58 hrs would have been nearly 300 hrs).
So instead I decided to make it a daybreak image, with just enough light in the atmosphere to see the lighthouse and it's surroundings, but also enough to make sure the light could not be seen. I also placed a small light in the lower story (those of you who downloaded the model may notice the lack of window panes) so you can imagine the lighthouse keeper having a morning cuppa before going up to switch of the light.
I also tried saving the image in the openEXR format this time as well as TIFF. With a little manipulation in FDRTools and then a little more in ACDSee (still learning the OpenEXR stuff), I came up with this. I hope you like it.

Iain
[attach=#1]
Original TG2TP output
[attach=#2]
Modified Image

sonshine777

Looks good Iain, I posted over at the file sharing thread, and found that the only way to get beams was with ray-traced shadows enabled also. And yes it does increase render time (lets hope the new render engine speeds thing up) :).

rcallicotte

Another good way to get beams is to create three thick cloud layers and then disable the Enable Primary on all of them.  Sink the sun, crank it's strength and find the beams.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?