point light

Started by lonewolf, January 20, 2008, 01:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonewolf

Here's a quick test render of a WIP lighthouse. I would like a point light at the top, but all TG has is a light source (sphere). Anyone know how I can change this?

Iain

Oshyan

TG's light source *is* a "point light". Just leave the Source Radius at 0 and increase strength to the desired level. However what you may want is a so-called "spot light". TG2 doesn't include such light source types, but you can model something with a spherical opening in it and put a Light Source inside it and that will basically do it.

- Oshyan

lonewolf

Thanks. Will give it a go.

Iain

dhavalmistry

please DO share the final.....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

lonewolf

Haven't had much time to remodel the lighthouse, but here's a quick lightbox test I made up. The pictures are with light strength at 100 and 500. After that the box can't hold it in.

Iain[attachimg=#]

old_blaggard

Your box might be able to hold in the light better if you tried using raytracing in the atmosphere.  I'm not sure, though, and it will jack up render times.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mr_Lamppost

I had a similar problem with light leaking through the top of the lantern on my lamppost  :D

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2259.0

I know I was using an extended light source so that I could cast soft shadows but don't remember any or the other settings.  I have another render on the go just now but will have a look when that has finished.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

j meyer

I did several tests recently and the results suggest that there
is a light through issue similar to the sun through terrain bug,
which is well known.The light source shines easily through
double hull walls or whole models aswell.
I have to admit though that i haven't tested o-b's suggestion,
so maybe there's still a chance.Otherwise we will have to wait
until planetside can fix it.

lonewolf

Here is a modified lightbox with 3 wall layers and a protruding cone. light strength 500 and raytraced shadows turned on. took 5 times as long to render a quick test. so final render should take some time. fixes the problem though.
[attachimg=#]

sonshine777

It will be interesting to see if you get a volumetric beam when you put haze or low clouds in the scene. Looks good as far as the testing goes though. :)

j meyer

Did a few more tests yesterday.I used 2 spheres for this
and the atmo samples were set to 32,light strength was
2500 iirc.Have a look.
Hope you don't mind me posting it here.

rcallicotte

You mean enabled ray traced shadows?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

I'm going to want to try that for darker scenes to see what it does.  Thanks.  This is useful to understand.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

lonewolf

Been working on my new lighthouse. This one has a hollow lightbox in the top for my pointlight to go in.
Initial render of the object tells me I have to work on the shaders a little, but most of the detail I wanted is there.
When I get it right, I will be making a day image and a night image.

Iain