Texture limitations

Started by DanD, January 20, 2008, 12:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanD

Will the texture limitations be removed ? Simply allowing 17
textures for imported models isnt going to cut it, while many here
would say its not a problem..it is. It severely limits scene creation.
  I would say 90% of my models use over 150 textures, (Sailing Ships especially
eat up that allotment).

Dan

JimB

That's an answer for Planetside, but I don't think it's as disastrous as some seem to feel.

Do you have another 3D app?

If so, try matching your other app's camera to the TG2 camera, and render the model with textures as a constant RGB in that. Then camera project that render of the textured model onto the same geometry in TG2. The model render would need to be of the texture RGB's only, without lighting. You also need to position the model and camera first in both apps (obviously).
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

DanD

Did that Jim, the results were ...very bad. And yeah..It is a disaster,
here's a for instance..I'm currently working on a model of the HMS
Victory, this model uses only 50 or so textues..but it has 430 seperate
objects,Now..Vue 4,although its older than TG2 can render it all.
no problem, TG2 ?..Just the sails,some of the rigging and a few gunports become
textured. If you're just a hobbyist,I suppose its not a problem.
   But...If you're a professional,it means rerenders of duplicate scenes, It means
keeping multiple files and that leads to confusion and a serious loss of time

reck

Hi Dan,

Just did a quick search for you to see if Planetside had mentioned anything about this and found this quote from Oshyan from a few months ago.

"We will definitely be addressing the 16 texture limit for the final release. We're well aware that it is not a reasonable limitation and it is only in place at this time because it was easiest to implement this way until a full solution can be put in place. The current object support is focused on vegetation objects where having more than 16 textures is very rare. For that purpose it works fairly well, but we want to accomodate other more complex objects as well, of course.

- Oshyan"

So it looks like it's only going to be a problem for a few more weeks until the final is released.  :)

JimB

Quote from: DanD on January 20, 2008, 01:33:48 PM
Did that Jim, the results were ...very bad. And yeah..It is a disaster,
here's a for instance..I'm currently working on a model of the HMS
Victory, this model uses only 50 or so textues..but it has 430 seperate
objects,Now..Vue 4,although its older than TG2 can render it all.
no problem, TG2 ?..Just the sails,some of the rigging and a few gunports become
textured. If you're just a hobbyist,I suppose its not a problem.
   But...If you're a professional,it means rerenders of duplicate scenes, It means
keeping multiple files and that leads to confusion and a serious loss of time
/

Dan, sorry, I should have added; "Merge the model that you import into TG2 into one single mesh." Did you try that? One mesh, one cam projection texture. I also work in the CG industry, and that would be my first choice - keep it very simple.

NASA spent a million bucks developing a pen for their astronauts to use in space. The USSR saved a million bucks, and gave their cosmonauts a pencil  ;)
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Oshyan

Reck, unfortunately that answer has since had to be changed due to the problems that caused this last delay. We will *not* be able to expand the 16 texture limit for the initial final release. It can be addressed in subsequent updates later this year. Here is a thread with more discussion on Planetside's perspective on the issue:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3031.msg30950#msg30950

- Oshyan

DanD

Soooo...The bottom line...We're stuck with this for a few more
months ?

Oshyan

Unfortunately that is correct.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

yea...I waned this more than sss and water transparency!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

MooseDog

mho:  i'm with planetside on this one.  this strikes me as a pipeline issue, wherein the environment is tg's forte and the complex object is someone else's forte.  planetside's limited time and resources should be directed towards making the two apps work nice together (i.e. sharing, cross-understanding and executing animation data).  and organizations with a pipeline are their stated market segment.  go get'em matt, jo, john and oshyan!  ;D

reck

Quote from: Oshyan on January 20, 2008, 05:08:38 PM
Reck, unfortunately that answer has since had to be changed due to the problems that caused this last delay. We will *not* be able to expand the 16 texture limit for the initial final release. It can be addressed in subsequent updates later this year. Here is a thread with more discussion on Planetside's perspective on the issue:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3031.msg30950#msg30950

- Oshyan

Ah ok, if that's the case sorry for the misinformation.

rcallicotte

Object integration will happen, but SSS and water transparency sound pretty cool...don't you think?  After all, these two things will affect not only the outcome of beautiful terrain, but probably largely affect the objects.  What do you think?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

Quote from: calico on January 21, 2008, 09:38:24 AM
Object integration will happen, but SSS and water transparency sound pretty cool...don't you think?  After all, these two things will affect not only the outcome of beautiful terrain, but probably largely affect the objects.  What do you think?

yea I guess they both are equally important!

bobbystahr

Well there is the work around figured out by someone, forget who, way back. that if you do have a 3D app, save the model in parts with no more than 16 shaders/textures and all with an exactly the same axis. I, in Imagine 3d, group all parts to an axis at 0/0/0, that is one 0/0/0 axis for every 16 texture group. Then when you import the parts they will assemble quite nicely at the same spot.  Once all the texturing is done I simply save the assembled parts as a .tgc in a folder I call Object clips. That way it can be loaded as a clip any time you need the model.....works for me.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

dhavalmistry

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1255.0

only problem is that you cannot use that object in populations....