A good bug!

Started by dandelO, January 20, 2008, 05:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Open Terragen 2, visit heightfield generate 01(if you still have it in your default file, if not, make one...).
Click on 'generate now'. The generator will begin to climb towards 100%... Take your mouse cursor (whilst this generation process is happening) and wiggle it back and forward over the 3D preview window, maybe it's just me but when I do this on my computer the speed of the building process significantly quickens up, stop wiggling the cursor and the speed returns to normal. Does this happen with everyone? ...

Costaud

Same for me, that's really funny...now I will try this in the render window ;)

reck

lol, how did you find this? Is the wiggle a feature? Maybe the more you wiggle the faster the render as well.

dandelO

QuoteSame for me, that's really funny...now I will try this in the render window Wink

I think that rendering a whole image with the wiggle technique, even if it did work(it doesn't), would quickly result in repetative strain injury, or maybe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome... Probably best not to.  :D

It doesn't work for the populator, erode function, carve river, etc. either, shame...

ovaflo

so... what you're saying is... Matt is going to make us work for speed?...=P

Will

heh TGD likes to be petted  :D
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Something about MS Windows and how it handles the mouse cursor movement is really odd.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Very odd! It may be something in the status indicator timing code, but I honestly don't know. Definitely something to look at.

- Oshyan

bigben

Preparing for a version of TG2 on Wii?  ;)

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Seth

JimB

Get tired of waiting for populations to generate? Give dandelO's RSI technique a whirl  ;D  Cuts pop generation down to a fraction of the usual time.

Matt, you should definitely look into it more! I'm buying a spin dryer to attach to my mouse.

Edit: Whoops, just saw the other thread.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

neuspadrin

Works for terrain operators too, such as make river and smooth. lol so odd.

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: bigben on January 21, 2008, 07:38:16 AM
Preparing for a version of TG2 on Wii?  ;)

Preparing for a version of TG2 on the mighty PS3????;D  ;)

chefc

Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)