Error message

Started by choronr, January 20, 2008, 11:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

After adding five populations of vegetation, I proceeded to add one more. I added and set up the the sixth .tgo object; did a crop render; and, while rendering a cropped render to see how the image would turn out, I got the following Error Message:

trimage: unable to allocate pixelmap: size 23522400

trRender InitBucket(): unable to initialize render buffer

This and all other populations are not excessive in quantity. Am I right in assuming that there is a limitation on the number of object populations that can be placed within a scene?

Bob   

Ps  If you require the other file to recreate this scene, I'd be glad to send them to you.

Oshyan

That's a memory-related error. It's likely that you have simply exceeded the amount of memory TG2 can access on your system. Although you may have a lot of memory, 4GB or more even, TG2 can only access up to 2GB of that at any time, even on a 64 bit system (since TG2 is not yet 64 bit), and it is rare to even get the full 2GB due to issues with allocation of large memory areas and other memory management problems.

The memory issues may be coming from any one of a number of sources - large objects as part of your populations (100,000 polygons or more), large population sizes (10,000 or more instances), large textures (higher than 1000x1000) or multiple textures, large heightfields (4097x4097 or higher), etc. Reducing memory use in any one area will help overall.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thank you Oshyan. The image will be fine as is without adding more veggies. It is good to know what this error message means. The scene is one that closely resembles the area in Phoenix where I live. I had added Saguaros, Ocotillos, Manzanitas, Brittle Bushes, Creosote Bushes; and, wanted to add some springtime blooming groundcovers - this is when I got the error message. The terrain is a 2049 .ter I imported from my old files which I have used in several other successful scenes. TG2 has given this terrain a new life. Again, thanks for your quick response.