Masking Problem

Started by dhavalmistry, January 23, 2008, 05:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

I am trying to mask out some clouds around the sun and I am getting weird results for some reason..
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bigben

2 questions... how are you masking the clouds... and is the cloud's coverage > 0 ?

dhavalmistry

no I am using an image map as the blending shader of density fractal.

and yes the cloud's coverage is -0.6 in cloud layer

moodflow

Dhaval,

Not sure if you've tested this, but the image mask may not be 100% black in that area, so the sun is lighting it up.  You may want to test that mask in Photoshop and see what value the color is in that area.

Nice test by the way.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

the mask was made in photoshop with black brush with 100% opacity and 100% flow...

rcallicotte

Interesting.  It's showing up around the square edges.

[edit - oh :-[  I see now]
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

I see the same shape in your mask. I think it's a mask issue. However you should also keep in mind that using coverage adjustment in the Cloud Shader (as opposed to its density shader input) can cause odd results when using masks, etc.

- Oshyan

JimB

I can't even see what the issue is?

What specifically are you worried about? Be very specific. Is it the very dark blobs in the clouds?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

moodflow

After looking at this more, are you using the camera projection method for the mask? 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

bigben

Quote from: Oshyan on January 24, 2008, 05:11:01 PM
I see the same shape in your mask. I think it's a mask issue. However you should also keep in mind that using coverage adjustment in the Cloud Shader (as opposed to its density shader input) can cause odd results when using masks, etc.

- Oshyan

I'll second that, hence my question. I'd try moving the coverage setting to the cloud's fractal first although in this case I don't think it will make a difference.

If you're using a through camera projection for the mask you have to remember that you are then boring a hole through the entire cloud layer. Even if the areas adjacent to the mask have only a minute amount of cloud in them this will impact on lighting by the time you take into account the cumulative effect through the entire cloud layer. This will lead to differences in shadows and atmospheric glow between the masked and unmasked areas which I'm guessing is part of your problem here.