atmosphere line

Started by darthvader, January 25, 2008, 07:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

I'm rendering a scene from a very high altitude, showing the curvature of the planet with some huge mountains and some clouds. the problem is that i have a solid line at the edge of the atmosphere. is there any way to make it fade out or am i stuck with the atmosphere just abruptly ending. i'll attach an image as soon as i'm done rendering it.[attachthumb=#]

Mr_Lamppost

I am not sure what you are expecting as far as I can see your scene is rendering as I would expect.  You are a long way up, at least on the upper limits if not beyond the atmosphere of your planet, a viewpoint for which the atmosphere looks correct.

Your "Huge" mountains are exactly that HUGE  at a guess something in the order of 100000m  (100 Km), in which case they should be poking up through the atmosphere.

You can make the atmosphere "Deeper", look at the Height Control tab in your atmosphere settings and increase the Bluesky Exp. Heigh.  You may need to experiment a little to get the look you are after.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Mr_Lamppost

P.S.  I kind of like the idea of mountains so big they reach almost into space  ;D

I would leave the scales as is and do a little work on the surfacing, add some green to the low altitude terrain etc.  Give the impression of a very small planet.

darthvader

Your right about the atmosphere looking like it should, but i still think it shouldn't be such a defined line along the outer edge. also i think i'm gonna reduce the mountain size a little bit, they're still gonna be big, just not THAT big. And i don't like the way the clouds cover the image so i'll mess around with that too.

Mr_Lamppost

Like I said I kind of like the mountains poking into space

The clouds look to be in scale with the mountains, if this was my scene I would try the atmosphere settings before changing any thing else.

I have not properly experimented with all the atmosphere settings so can't guide you there.  Try it and see   :)

darthvader

for the atmo i just had to tweak the hight a bit, it's not quite perfect yet but i like it better than before. i also changed the clouds and made them fluffier (spelling ???). I want change the rock surface cause i don't think it looks completly realistic, mabye its a bit too light :P

Cyber-Angel

Darthvader,

The correct word usage you're looking for (Unless you made a typo, so please forgive me) is "Realistic" there is no "S" on the end as far as I know there is no "Realistics" in the English language: I don't mean to be any type of English police but its hard some times to understand what people mean!

;D 8)

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

bigben

Have you changed the atmosphere colours from the defaults?  At greater camera altitudes you'd expect the horizon to tend toward white.

darthvader

[Edit silly typo involving made up word] bigben that atmosphere colors are at their defaults all i have done is raised the bluesky expansion height from 8000 to 10500

Matt

The hard line which you can sometimes see at the edge of the atmosphere can be adjusted using the "ceiling" parameter. Terragen automatically chooses a ceiling which is some multiple of the "exp height" parameters, but you can change this by sliding the "ceiling adjust" parameter (or even choose any ceiling you like). A higher celing should pretty much eliminate the visible line, but it may increase render time and/or it will affect the number of samples you need to create a noise-free image.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mr_Lamppost

Thanks Matt I had wondered what that was for.

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on January 26, 2008, 03:43:21 AM
Darthvader,

The correct word usage you're looking for (Unless you made a typo, so please forgive me) is "Realistic" there is no "S" on the end as far as I know there is no "Realistics" in the English language: I don't mean to be any type of English police but its hard some times to understand what people mean!

;D 8)

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

"REALISTICS" is a new science (just like physics and mathmatics)  ;D.
heheheh just kidding...

sonshine777

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on January 25, 2008, 08:12:36 PM
P.S.  I kind of like the idea of mountains so big they reach almost into space  ;D

I would leave the scales as is and do a little work on the surfacing, add some green to the low altitude terrain etc.  Give the impression of a very small planet.

It would sure make space exploration much easier. :) Just think no more expensive rockets to get the ship into space and no special heat shield to keep it from burning up on re-entry. ;D