Don't Hold Back

Started by darthvader, January 27, 2008, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

Ok, any and all critiquing and constructive critisism is welcome, please tell me how how this could become a picture of epic proportion.

Render time: 8 hrs
Detail: .8
AA: 5

[attachthumb=#]

Mr_Lamppost

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

darthvader

It doesn't matter :( whenever I try to open the file in tg2 again it just gives me an error warning with the file name and no other details. It looks like the file is done for good :( :( :(

Mr_Lamppost

Did you make regular saves while you were developing it?  Can you recover most of your work from an earlier version or the .tgd_bak?

I assume that all is not lost or did you save the new version over the file fro your previously posted image.

darthvader

In a classic noob mistake, I was saving in the same file, unless they can help me out over in the tech support section there's no was to recover it :(

Mr_Lamppost

Easily done.   ;)

A very long shot but the tgd files are human readable Xml. Someone may be able to recover something

Saving regularly giving files sequential names i.e. My_Secne_01.tgd is a good habit to get into.  Saving after any major change is always good. I have lost far too many developments to unexpected crashes.  I work directly in the node network quite a lot and it is easy to make fatal connections.   :-[ >:( ::) :'(

rcallicotte

For my opinion, I'd like a little more contrast.  But, it might not be realistic.  Tough call, since photography's biggest problem is capturing the contrast ratio accurately.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Have you saved it into a folder or with a file name that includes any non-standard (English) characters?

- Oshyan

zionner

dam, talk about bad luck XD

Nice picture though!

@MR_L Animating *shudder*

I dont understand it..and at this rate..I never will:P

darthvader

nope , the file name had all english characters. Its not all bad, I now have some experience  and the render i'm doing to replace this one is going a lot quicker.

[attachthumb=#]

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

darthvader

Thanks ;D I don't like the distant clouds in the second image, they aren't detailed enough for me. It's still a work in progress so it'll hopefully get better.

zhotfire

I have to agree with vader... as the distance increases the clouds seem to take on a more solid shape. The foreground clouds look nice, but the distant ones look like marshmellow blobs. Maybe change the angle of sunlight to deepen the shadows?

FrankB

My 2 cents: the image is good, BUT the scales are way off. It would surely look much more epic if there was an even greater impression of altitude and space, so make everything considerably smaller: clouds and terrain.

Hope that helps,
Frank

darthvader

No matter what i did to the sun angle the far away clouds just didn't look good, so i'm reducing the camera altitude to minimize their apperance. Frank your right, but the whole point of this image was to get away from the standard orbital shots looking down on smaller mountains, the epicness comes from land features that are just absurd and overexaggerated compared to reality, kinda like the lord of the rings.