Hurricane Wallpaper

Started by nvseal, January 29, 2008, 03:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

Quote from: Bidmaron on January 30, 2008, 07:55:53 PM
As the one who made the comment:
1) As I said, I was confused and thought he had procedurally done it.  I'm still not sure I understand what he did.  What I think is that he took a relatively featureless planet, used a hurricane image and an alpha map derived from it, and applied this result to the terragen planet.  Certainly not trivial.
2) My original words were "Oh, sorry (isn't that almost [emphasis added] cheating?)"
3) My apologies to the artist. 
--Dale--

No apologies needed. What I did was get a satalite image of a hurricane off the internet from nasa. I then made the image black and white and imported it into TG 2 with an image map shader. Using a new camera, I projected the image down towards the planet, then I attached the image map shader to a color adjust shader which then went into the cloud shader taking the place of the cloud density fractal. That's pretty much it.

Bidmaron

Well, thanks for the explanation.  It's a beautiful image no matter how it was done.  Thanks for sharing.  Sorry for the confusion.
--Dale--

rcallicotte

Thanks for explaining your method, nvseal.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

I was looking around this morning to see how the clouds held up from closer angles and let this render during classes. This is very low quality but it does give an idea. There some parts that don't look exactly correct but it does look pretty interesting I think.  ;D

rcallicotte

Yep.  Matt's answer is what I wanted to hear.

Mr_Lamppost

Nice to know how you did it, more or less what I thought you had done. 

A perfectly valid technique. Total cheat  ;D but what the Hell it works  ;D ;) ;D

I am not going to give up on the "Proper method", one day we WILL HAVE computers powerful enough   ::)
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Will

We already do, the flaw is simply I would like to live long enough to see the final render.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

LOL

Quote from: Will on February 01, 2008, 07:28:28 PM
We already do, the flaw is simply I would like to live long enough to see the final render.

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Will on February 01, 2008, 07:28:28 PM

Science is working on that (Allegedly).

I was hoping for real time   "I want a whole electronically synthesised universe in my office"  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

Nvseal, I think the close-up version also looks quite good and deserving of a higher detail render. Quite honestly I think this thing could be animated. You're not going to see rotation on a hurricane in realtime from orbit - it would have to be rotating at 1000's of miles per hour for that to happen. So all you need to worry about is camera movement. Could be quite cool, or maybe it would just expose the flaws in the model. ;)

- Oshyan