cumullus clouds again

Started by marcob, February 02, 2008, 02:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcob

Is this cloud a terragen 2 one or a photo background?...I know that one of the best cloud image is from him, but nothing got close to that new one...anyone know how to emulate this??? I tried everything but I think my TGD skills aren't enough...I tried different settings, image map projection, like tornado and hurricane ones here, and got some nice results, but nothing like that...I'll try something new as long as I stop to droll over the keyboard. Any suggestions? thanks :-[

old_blaggard

It's from TG2.  I honestly don't know how Luc does it.  Some people have gotten pretty close - search for the cumulo-nimbus cloud thread.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

he should write a book on his techniques.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

I agree with Will.  Or at least a PDF.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

From what I've pieced together from his various comments, all he is doing with that is adjusting the settings of depth, density and coverage to get the thickness to a decent level, then adjusting the pattern on the power fractal and changing the seed a few thousand times to get the effect he wants, no trickery or tomfoolery, just anally compulsive attention to detail ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

@PG - He's doing more than that and including that.  There is Fake Internal Scattering, GI settings, setting up the scales in the Density Shader for the cloud layer itself, and something he's doing either with TG2 or with another program outside of TG2 that is making his final renders better than probably anything we've seen here.

Seth

PG

yeah, I wasn't planning on listing every possible parameter that he'd use. This site has all of the different settings that you can use within the cloud layer itself, but to get the results that luc achieved you would need to fiddle with the density shadera bit, possibly changing the power frctal for another type.
http://www.motionmagnetic.com/a_terragen2/atmosphere_examples/atmosphere_examples.html

rcallicotte

Billows setting.  Changing the scale around to make the clouds bunch up.  Matt once mentioned using the Fake Internal Setting with GI.  What else?

PG

Yes setting the noise to Perlin billows is a definate must, ridges also provides some cool effects. I hear people talking about warping all the time but I can never seem to use it properly ;D

Seth

rcallicotte

"Damn!  We're in a tight spot."

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

The more we practice (and the more detailed instructions from Luc and his posse), the better clouds we'll make.

"Gopher, Everett?"