Can't - wait - until multicore ...

Started by moodflow, February 03, 2008, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

That sounds like lyrics for the Beastie Boys (or similar), LOL.

Anyway, I ran some numbers today, which gave some surprising results.

I created a standard scene, then test rendered it on 1 core, 2 cores, and 4 cores (via crops with 12% overlap).  I've found 12% overlap is required due to the GI inconsistencies.

Here are the results:

1 Core:
core 1 time:     161 seconds
total time:       161 seconds
absolute time:  161 seconds

2 Core:
core 1 time:      92 seconds
core 2 time:      94 seconds
total time:       186 seconds
absolute time:   94 seconds (longest of the 2)

4 Core: 
core 1 time:      55 seconds
core 2 time:      58 seconds
core 3 time:      54 seconds
core 4 time:      54 seconds
total time:       221 seconds
absolute time:   58 seconds (longest of the 4)

So 4 cores does still win with an absolute time of 58 seconds.  And 1 core loses with an absolute time of 161 seconds. 

But the interesting stuff is this:  1 core beats them all when it comes to total time!  It was 161 seconds vs 186 seconds for 2 core and 221 seconds for 4 cores.  I think this has to do with the inefficiency of using multiple instances, as well as having to overlap the images (which creates 6% and 24% of rendundant render space).  So rendering with 4 cores via the workaround is just a novelty at this point, and is very inefficient.

So I can't wait until true multicore functionality arrives.  It should scale nearly linearly.  So 161 seconds would scale to just over 40 seconds.  And we won't have to deal with the GI inconsistencies.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Indeed interesting tests and yes, it surely is ineffecient.
However, using 1 core is 168 sec. and using 4 cores takes 58 sec. (slowest core).
So you still have the results much quicker which is why using multiple instances is still favorable.
You're absolutely sure that the total time differs but that doesn't matter in the end.

Martin

Cyber-Angel

Could I ask how many times you ran your tests and the specifications of the computer used to conduct them? Secondly could you provide information (Detailed Step by Step would be good) as to how you conducted your tests/s as pertaining to work schema, methodology etc? Lastly would you be prepared to shear the .tgd file used to conduct your test/s?

The reason I ask the above questions so that other people with rigs with the same specifications as yours may conduct research to confirm your data, if you'd be willing  to allow for such to be conducted: interesting results none the less.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

moodflow

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on February 04, 2008, 09:22:14 AM
Could I ask how many times you ran your tests and the specifications of the computer used to conduct them? Secondly could you provide information (Detailed Step by Step would be good) as to how you conducted your tests/s as pertaining to work schema, methodology etc? Lastly would you be prepared to shear the .tgd file used to conduct your test/s?

The reason I ask the above questions so that other people with rigs with the same specifications as yours may conduct research to confirm your data, if you'd be willing  to allow for such to be conducted: interesting results none the less.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

No Problem.

The system I used was a 3.0 GHz dual core system with 1 GB of RAM.  I have 2 of these systems, exactly identical to each other.

First, I ran a full render which uses a single core.

Then I ran a render using 2 instances of TG2 with crops of:  0-.56  and .44-1  to get the 12% overlap.

Then I ran a render using 4 instances of TG2 (2 per PC) with crops of:  0-.34, .22-.56 on the first PC, and then .44-.78, and .66-1 on the second PC.  These numbers give 12% overlap equally on all PCs.

The file I used was extremely simple.  Its attached below.

moodflow

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on February 04, 2008, 08:12:19 AM
Indeed interesting tests and yes, it surely is ineffecient.
However, using 1 core is 168 sec. and using 4 cores takes 58 sec. (slowest core).
So you still have the results much quicker which is why using multiple instances is still favorable.
You're absolutely sure that the total time differs but that doesn't matter in the end.

Martin

Yep, it still wins out, but very inefficient. 

buchvecny

im pretty bad with math however ill try if you have 12% overlay and 4 renders it means you have 160% are to render (the single image is 100%) so thats pretty bad...

EBAndrew

The point remains: Multi-core support is going to be awesome-sauce.
-Andrew

buchvecny

not to mention that planetside was supposed to make it multicore from the day they started developing it ;)

rcallicotte

Not to mention...   ;D

Quote from: buchvecny on February 12, 2008, 11:17:40 AM
not to mention that planetside was supposed to make it multicore from the day they started developing it ;)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Quote from: buchvecny on February 12, 2008, 10:45:17 AM
im pretty bad with math however ill try if you have 12% overlay and 4 renders it means you have 160% are to render (the single image is 100%) so thats pretty bad...

Yea, pretty much.  Its actually 24% of wasted render area (since 6% of each overlap is required).  Can't wait for multicore  8)

Will

interesting though yay the overall does mean more stuff to render (duh)
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.