Which version do I buy?

Started by Mr_Spook, February 12, 2008, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Spook

Hiya

I've been a terragen lover for a few years now and in the near future i hope to purchase either 0.9 or Terragen 2, i've been using terragen 0.9 for a few years like i've said and i've seen some of the T2 pics and they look amazing, especially the hurricane ones.

I'm just wondering what sort of new features are in T2 compared to 0.9, as the T2 pics seem a lot more complex than the 0.9.

I'd certainly appreciate any info, as i'm not sure which version to get, wheather i should stay where i'm comfortable or go for the new version?

Couldn't find any other place to put this.

Thanks in advance

rcallicotte

http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tg2/index.shtml

You can download the free version and play with it to see what you think.

I'd get the Deep Animation, if you have any desire to do animation.  The prices are discounted, for now.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

TG0.9 is good but TG2 is just far better to me... realistic renders, great clouds, vegetation...

Mr_Spook

Yoiks, it looks so complicated, i just downloaded it and had a look - so different to 0.9

EBAndrew

Yeah, it's a radical change from 0.9 to 2, especially if you're not familiar with nodes. Take a run through the documentation http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?board=2.0 and you should be fine :D.

0.9 is really simple compared to 2, so it's really easy to create fantastic scenes with it. TG2's far more complex, takes longer to learn and master, but allows far more control over the scene than 0.9 did. In the end... as much as I hate to abandon my old friend, I think 2 is a better buy.
-Andrew

rcallicotte

I've tried both programs and prefer the TG2 work style, especially the node network.  After you do the TG2 tutorials, start playing and asking questions (after searching this forum for answers, first).  Lots of helpful people here and lots of helpful instructions and examples (including files - TGD, TGC and object files) to learn from.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

Yeah once you get into the swing of it you find it easier to work with. I went back to TG 0.9 the other day and I couldn't remember where half of the buttons where ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

zionner

I used TG 2 before TG 0.9, and I found TG 2 much more flexible and in my opinion easier to use then TG 0.9

But thats only my opinion;)

NWsenior07

TG .9 was a great program no doubt but when it comes down to it, i'm glad that i saved some money and bought TG2. As for what "flavor" of TG2, that is up to you really. it basically comes down to whether you want to do animations or not.

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Mr_Spook on February 12, 2008, 02:36:08 PM
Yoiks, it looks so complicated, i just downloaded it and had a look - so different to 0.9

We were all in that position when TG2 first appeared. There are some good tutorials and plenty of tips and tricks to be found in here

There are some things that you can only really do by editing the node network directly but if you confine your self to the left half of the screen you can work in a way similar to the way you worked in 0.9.  Create terrain, add surface layers, set lighting etc.  Working this way you can also get a feel for using displacement and objects both single and in populations. 

You can move on to using the nodes when you feel ready. 

I would have to say if your budget allows go for TG2 with animation, you never know when you may need it.  Remember that what you are using now is a preview version but you will be pre purchasing the finished product at a reduced price.

If you read the pricing on the Planetside site you can register 0.9 then upgrade to the preview at a reduced price.  You get both products for the price of TG2
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.