Creating a "cracked earth" texture?

Started by Jedi_Mediator, February 13, 2008, 05:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi_Mediator

I wanted to know if anyone has found a way to figure out that sort of polygonal pattern of cracked earth. You find this sort of pattern usually in a really dry region where the soil has been densely packed into the ground. I believe it's been done before, but I can't figure it out, myself.

rcallicotte

Search the forums.  Instructions and files are here.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Jedi_Mediator

Ya, I know. But the only helpful thing I could find was a file in .tgc format, and unfortunately I'm restricted to the Demo right now, which uses .tgd.

Well, I don't really know why I'm *posting* this. :P It's not as if I would just make someone re-type their whole tutorial...

I'll keep searching. Sorry for the bother :P

Will

you can open the tgc by going into file and clicking "insert clip file" or somthing like that.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Mr_Lamppost

Once you have inserted the clip file you will need to go into the node network and connect the new imported nodes, I imagine there were instructions to help you with this in the post where you got the clip file.

As far as I remember, can't check just now as I have something else rendering, you use a Voronoi 3D Diff Scalar with either a Power or Colour Adjust applied to it as the input function of a Displacement Shader. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Jedi_Mediator

Oh--so it isn't a wrong filetype? Well, if I can still use it with the Tech Prev, then that's great. Thanks for that advice.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

You're not a bother.  We've all learned the same way.  Or, at least, Will has.   ;D

Quote from: Jedi_Mediator on February 13, 2008, 06:23:51 PM

I'll keep searching. Sorry for the bother :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?