cylindrical projection not working?

Started by peejay, February 17, 2008, 03:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peejay

Hi

I can get through camera projection to work, I can get spherical projection to work, but how do you get cylindrical projection to work?

Also how does one apply an image map to an imported object so that the surface normals can be distorted using a displacement map derived from that image. I can can get a 'bump map effect', but I can do that in Bryce. I can distort the surface normals of an imported object using a power fractal, so it should be possible to hook up an image map input to the power fractal but I can't get it to work, any node wizards out there know how to do it?
adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

rcallicotte

Have you tried using the Image Shader straight into the PFS?

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

What problem are you having with cylindrical projection specifically?

You can use displacement on imported objects to a limited degree. Going beyond small displacements will usually cause cracking and other artifacts. To use it with an Image Map shader just plug it in to the Displacement Function input of the Default Shader, or load the image directly into the Displacement Image area of the Default Shader. If you want to use it on concert with the Power Fractal you can plug the Power Fractal into Color Function input of a Default Shader. You can also turn on "Apply Displacement" in an Image Map shader and apply it directly, although the other options are more flexible.

- Oshyan

peejay

thanks Oshyan

I'll try those methods again

the problem with cylindrical projection is that the object remains black. It is at 0,0,0 co-ordinates. The 'through camera projection' shows up fine, the 'spherical projection' shows up fine, but when I try 'cylindrical projection - nothing'

Oshyan

It seems to be working here in a simple test. What kind of object are you trying to apply it to?

- Oshyan

peejay

Oshyan,
a simple cylinder modelled in Wings3D, and run through Hexagon to sort out the UV's (some folks on the forum use Poseray for the same reason)

peejay

and again using a surface layer, rather than just an image map