The Island - UPDATE

Started by sjefen, February 21, 2008, 08:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

I'm not playing much with Terragen 2 these days. Saving it for the beta :P
Anyway.... I decided to give World Machine a try and was very happy with the results i got. I just had to throw it in Terragen and give it a go.

I know it isn't much, but I like how it turned out. I also prefered the black & white version.

I hope you like it and feel free to leave any comment's.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

rcallicotte

Oh, I like it.  Ansel Adams, Jr.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

oh...this looks great....I absolutely love it...

the b/w makes the image heavy!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

nvseal

This really does look fantastic.

old_blaggard

The black and white adds a lot to the mood, and the grain makes this look like a photo; if someone walked up to me and showed me this, I would have assumed, at first glance at least, that it was a photo.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Seth

mr-miley

About as simple as it gets (thats a gooood thing) Outstanding render. Love the black and white. Did you do the grain in post or was it done with low atmo samples? Anyway, whatever, the grain realy adds to the pic. I agree with O_B definately photo like.

Have a gold star and go to the top of the class  ;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

mr-miley

sjefen, I like this one sooo much, I printed it out A3 size and stuck it on my desk screen. Tell you what, It prints great, and I only did it on plain paper. When I have the time I'll give it a go on the gloss coated stuff. You should consider selling these as prints.

Miles

rcallicotte

It printed fine?  Interesting, since I remember certain complaints about this when TG2 first came out - that it couldn't print well. 

chefc

Excellent render sjefen,definetly has that Ansel Adams look ( I agree with Miles you should put this to print, $$ in the bank ) ;)
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

mr-miley

Calico

I printed this off my A3 Inkjet, all I did was resize it to fit. A 72 dpi image (which TG produces) will print at good quality off an inkjet etc The problem comes when you want to get your work press printed (for inclusion in a magazine etc) Then you would need, at an absolute minimum, 200dpi, but it should be more like 300dpi. Things like Corel Photopaint or (shudders) Photoshop will let you change the resolution, but this should be done in inverse proportion to the size of the image. In other words if you want your image to fill an A4 page (210 x 297mm) @300dpi, you would need to render your image 10159 x 14378 @72dpi (your printed image being 8.26 inches @300dpi x 11.69 inche@300dpi = 8.26 x 300 =2478 pixels by 11.69 x 300 = 3507 pixels (2478 x 3507 pixel image) but bear in mind that TG can only render @ 72dpi so you have to multiply previous pixel size by 300/72 =4.1 etc etc etc thus giving you 10159 x 14378) I'm sure you can imagine how long it would take even the fastest PC to render a TG image of that size, you'd be talking months and months. This is one of the reasons why I think TG will never be taken too seriously as a print production renderer. Fine for screen display and inkjet printing, but not for press work  :( Sorry if that was a bit long winded.... Calico? are you still awake?.... CALICO.... oh never mind  ;D

Miles

rcallicotte

LOL  Miles is a funny guy.  And very informative.  Thanks!  I remember now what all the hubbub was about and this makes sense.  I hope someday we can see if Planetside will change this to make it so 300dpi is a viable option at even poster size.  Or not? 

Anyway, this picture is worthy of a print job, no doubt.

Phylloxera

beautiful Island, good work in black and white !

Harvey Birdman

If Ansel Adams had hung out in the South Pacific...

:D

Beautiful and simple; simply beautiful.

sjefen

Thanks a lot guys. I'm very happy you all liked it.

mr-miley: The grain is post work.
It's so nice to hear you like it so much that you printed it out. I don't know what to say.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB