Hurricane/tornado

Started by Alfamike, January 21, 2008, 09:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: j meyer on February 25, 2008, 05:22:37 PM
As for the polyhedrons: too complicated? ;D nevermind,it's not important.

Hmmm,why is it so delicate to mention the home of french fries?I'm afraid
my english is too limited. :( ;)

In the second radio series of The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy BELGIUM! Is revealed to be the ultimate profanity. 

Towels are the most useful things that any interstellar hitch-hiker can carry so it is a good idea to "Know where your towel is", at all times.

I have spent most of the evening constructing a huge node network to make a dodecahedron that doesn't work  ??? >:( Time for that word again; almost  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

j meyer

;D  aaaaah now i understand.Btw i didn't know there were radio series
of that too.I faintly remember the towel thing from watching the TV
series long ago though.Thanks for explaining.
I'm sorry to read about the dodecahedron failure,must be frustrating.There
are problems and issues with that kind of geometry in other applications also
and i can imagine that it's really hard with functions.In case you really want
to try again: good luck!

Mr_Lamppost

The Guide started out on Radio in 1978,  Then came the books, with several revisions and re workings then the TV series, more revisions.

Them more books eventually adapted to radio after Douglas Adams' death; although he is in the third and fifth series, his lines are lifted from the Audio book versions which he read himself.

Don't give up all hope on the Dodecahedron; I have a cunning plan (No turnips required).

j meyer

Thanks for the additional info,i do appreciate.
And i'm agog.... ;)

Mohawk20

While everyone is playing with these shapes, don't forget it started with hurricanes...  :P

This is a great thread, that needs to continue! I love tornados!

That last post of the funnel shape (whith the 'less than' - 'greater than' issue) made me think of a waterfall... The shape, less filled with clouds, so foamy bits remain, and a reflective surface behind it, could very much resemble a waterfall don't you think?

BTW, I don't get these functions, because I don't know which does what. Is there a simple guide for them, or can one of you guys make one?
Howgh!

j meyer

Mohawk20:there are some tuts by David Burnett right here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?board=6.0
In case these are too mathematical you could download some
of the easier examples to be found on these forums and try to
study and/or reengineer them and thus learn what at least
some do.

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 02, 2008, 01:30:54 PM
While everyone is playing with these shapes, don't forget it started with hurricanes...  :P

Yeh but silly clouds are more fun  ;) ;D

Quote from: Mohawk20 on March 02, 2008, 01:30:54 PM
That last post of the funnel shape (whith the 'less than' - 'greater than' issue) made me think of a waterfall... The shape, less filled with clouds, so foamy bits remain, and a reflective surface behind it, could very much resemble a waterfall don't you think?

I'm not sure if this is what you are after but here is a high quality render of the funnel shape using only 4 cloud samples.  Tgd is also attached.