Export LWO Question (and Request)

Started by JDex, January 05, 2007, 08:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDex

I'd like to be able to export MOLA data (loaded from the Heightfield Load node) as a .lws/.lwo, however because of the enormous size of the data set, Terragen runs out of memory very early in the process (we're adding another 2 gigs to the Mac Pro soon, and 6 more if needed, just to see if that does it).

- Is there a way to break a MOLA generated heightfield into smaller heightfields (crop them if you will) so that we can export smaller chunks per export... I can deal with menial repetative work, just not only getting one column of data.

- Or, does anyone know of an app that will allow me to export MOLA data (at a high quality) to .obj or .lwo meshes.

- Or is there a 64bit Windows version available, that is not listed that can use large doses of RAM.

If none of the above, is there a way that such a feature can get implemented or an SDK with access to such hooks for us to work our way through it?

jo

Hi,

Quote from: JDex on January 05, 2007, 08:11:59 PM
I'd like to be able to export MOLA data (loaded from the Heightfield Load node) as a .lws/.lwo, however because of the enormous size of the data set, Terragen runs out of memory very early in the process (we're adding another 2 gigs to the Mac Pro soon, and 6 more if needed, just to see if that does it).

I don't think that will help I'm afraid. Even if you max out the RAM on the Mac there is still a maximum limit for 32 bit apps ( 4 GB theoretically ), and if TG2 is chewing up that much memory then adding more RAM won't help - except maybe to make it hit the limit more quickly because it won't be having to do virtual memory paging to disk. There may be some opportunity to improve the file writing code to be more memory efficient, which has proven to be the case with other things in the past.

Can I ask what size of MOLA data you're trying to export?

<snip>

- Or is there a 64bit Windows version available, that is not listed that can use large doses of RAM.

No, there isn't a 64 bit Windows version. Just speculation, but there should eventually be one. I'm looking into a 64 bit Mac version for Leopard, but it's early days and it isn't a priority for the time being.

I can't help with the rest of your questions myself, sorry.

Regards,

Jo

MichaelT

On the same note. Would it be possible to make sure the exporter allocates a set (user set?) amount of memory so that chunks are as big as the allocated memory allows?
Because I can use those chunks (infact I want chunks) for my terrain streamer code. If you have the time to fix that?

Cougar12dk

@Jo: Yes there is. There is a 64bit WinXP.....and of course you can get Vista in both 32 and 64bit as well

Oshyan

Quote from: Cougar12dk on July 06, 2007, 08:50:48 AM
@Jo: Yes there is. There is a 64bit WinXP.....and of course you can get Vista in both 32 and 64bit as well

He was referring to Terragen 2, which is not currently available in a 64 bit version.

- Oshyan