Of An Even's Walk - v.2.0

Started by dandelO, March 16, 2008, 08:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

This is the quickest thing I've rendered since back in the days of Terragen 0.9.
I started this scene yesterday and just went with what felt and looked right. Relatively!
I've wasted hour upon day, upon week, upon month dicking around with every scene I've worked on in TG2 for months, scaling a tree to exactly 10m, making a rock JUST where I need it to be, etc, etc, etc. and I just thought...:

"You know what, dandelO?"(I didn't really call myself dandelO because that is not my name.) Said I.

"No, what, dandelO?" Returned I.

"You know, you've dicked around for weeks on these .tgd's, fiddling, tweaking, 'improving', etc-ing, and where are all the quality finished pieces?" I said, with a mocking grin in my eyes.

"Funny thing that... I was thinking almost EXACTLY the same thing!" I parried the mockery, I'll be damned if I get the better of ME in a fight!

So, I said to myself...

"Why not just throw something together, the way you used to do? Remember the fun you had when such things as 'scale' and 'correct representation of physical reality' were a mere collection of words that bore no real consequence in the world of Terragen for you?" Said I. 

"Ok" I said.

As a result of this conversation, the path in this image is about 400 metres wide... I shudder to think how big those trees are!

All the models I made in Carrara 6 Pro, with the exception of Trusty Ol' 'Grass7' around the fence posts, kindly uploaded by Sonshine777 for us all to abuse, cheers again, T! :)

Thanks for looking! :)[attachimg=#]

RedSquare

Very nice D, glad to see sanity has arrived.  Excellent result, although pity it isn't slightly larger as it is a tad dark to see much detail let alone the grass.  Come to think of it, this may be a cunning plan.   ;D

dhavalmistry

very nice....I really love the sky!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Seth

lovely sweet touch !
very soft looking

sonshine777

Great piece! I agree with Red though its a bit dark, but great for a thrown together piece. I just may have to try that again. :)

FrankB

Very funny read!  ;D

And a very nice result, too!

Cheers,
Frank

Saurav

Great realisation, render and a nice read on your thought process. :)

dandelO

Cheers folks! :)

Yup it's a little small but, here's my problem, I can't afford a TG2 license right now and, although the unregistered version lets you render 800x600px, you can't do 600x800px for some reason. the largest I can make this image is 450x600. It seems anything wider/higher than either of the 2 dimensions can't be done at this point. So TG2 isn't limited by pixel count but by set image dimensions.

If any kind soul out there would be good enough to render it for me, I'd love to see it bigger myself, or, if some kind soul were to buy me TG2 Deep then that'd be even better. ;) I joke!

Thanks for the comments, folks!

Tangled-Universe

I'd certainly like to render it for you.
How long did this one took to render and on what kind of machine?

Funny to read your thoughts prior to creating this work.
I think this image is a perfect example of the 'un-importance' of using 'right' scales.
I've explained this in several topics before here on the forum that using real-life scales etc. is useless because it is all about perception.
In your image the width of the path seems about 2m wide, according to the fence.
There's no way I could tell it is 400m wide and thus I can't say the trees are probably kilometers tall.
It all doesn't matter. As long as the scales are relatively correct to each other it doesn't matter whether they are correct according to real-life dimensions or not.

What I like the most about this image is the soft lighting and clouds. Very nicely done.
Very effective simplicity in overall, great work!

Martin

rcallicotte

Very nice.  Looks like a place and time I would want to go for a walk.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

First of all - good work! Second, I like the scale :-)

Third, tilt your camera by 90° and render 800x600 pixels ,-)

Volker

inkydigit

very nice scene...I like volkers rotating camera trick too!!

dandelO

Lol, I don't think I'll be redoing anything in this scene, simply because it would contradict the whole point of it: Simple, fast, nice enough on the eye. And no major tweaking. I even built this scene from the default TG2 scene, upwards, something I don't usualy do as I have a default startup scene of my own that I've grown accustomed to using(it's also constantly being tweaked and 'improved')

TU: Thanks for the offer to render it bigger for me, my pc specs are pretty bottom end with only 512mb RAM to play with so, this image at this size took a little over 2 and 1/2 hours render time at cloud detail=1 atmo=64 render detail/AA=1/3 and GI=1/3. If it suits you I'll pm a link to the .rar of this TGD. I have it uploaded and ready, let me know...

Cheers, folks! :)

moodflow

Kind of off-topic in a way, but it applies to DandelO's case.  Maybe Planetside could hold contests, and winners could recieve a serious discount off of the full version?  Or heck, even a free copy? 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: dandelO on March 17, 2008, 12:30:22 PM
Lol, I don't think I'll be redoing anything in this scene, simply because it would contradict the whole point of it: Simple, fast, nice enough on the eye. And no major tweaking. I even built this scene from the default TG2 scene, upwards, something I don't usualy do as I have a default startup scene of my own that I've grown accustomed to using(it's also constantly being tweaked and 'improved')

TU: Thanks for the offer to render it bigger for me, my pc specs are pretty bottom end with only 512mb RAM to play with so, this image at this size took a little over 2 and 1/2 hours render time at cloud detail=1 atmo=64 render detail/AA=1/3 and GI=1/3. If it suits you I'll pm a link to the .rar of this TGD. I have it uploaded and ready, let me know...

Cheers, folks! :)

That sounds do-able :)
Please pm me the link and tell me what kind of resolution you'd like it to have rendered at.

Martin