Intro to UV Mapping

Started by Ogre, March 20, 2008, 04:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogre

I put together an introduction to UV mapping for objects.  The examples use Maya but the concepts should translate to other applications (I Hope).  There are 2 seperate lessons and I have included 10 objects to practice with.

Once the upload is approved it will be available at Ashundar. http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item359
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

lightning

nice one mate ;D
thankyou very much indeed!

rcallicotte

Thanks.  Can always learn more...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

I haven't looked at it, but I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate your having taken the time to put this together! I suspect a lot of people are shooting in the dark where a lot of basic concepts are concerned, in large part because there just isn't that much accessible, readable documentation.

Way to go.

:)

Will

Thanks mate, hopefully it will help me with my XSI studies.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Ogre

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on March 20, 2008, 07:14:43 PM
I haven't looked at it, but I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate your having taken the time to put this together! I suspect a lot of people are shooting in the dark where a lot of basic concepts are concerned, in large part because there just isn't that much accessible, readable documentation.

That was my issue. Nothing to really learn from. Like I said I am not an expert but I hope it helps Or maybe I'll get told what I am doing wrong!  I have a few more lessons in mind but I'll see how the feedback is on the first 2 before putting anything together.

-Gordon Lightfoot

Mandrake

Thanks for the help Ogre. I finally got around to looking at uv mapping. At first I thought, if I'm folding the obj out, am I not applying the texture to the inside of the box. hehe lol But like you said, shooting in the dark. I read as much of the tutorials as I could find, and gave it a shot. I'm guessing the uv mapping can be harder then modeling the mesh.. I know these are some hefty bricks, but it was my first test. Hmm thought I had it right and I just saw the mortar on the 2'nd brick up should not be there, arghh

Ogre

Quote from: Mandrake on April 14, 2008, 10:50:22 PM
I'm guessing the uv mapping can be harder then modeling the mesh..

Certainly is just as time consuming and usually has it's ownset of issues.  I certainly try to keep UV mapping in mind when I model.  I spend a great deal of time laying out the UVs properly.

QuoteI know these are some hefty bricks, but it was my first test. Hmm thought I had it right and I just saw the mortar on the 2'nd brick up should not be there, arghh

Saw your post at Ashundar and seems you fixed that but you are dealing with getting the corner correct. What I would do there is make another model out of the already UV mapped pieces (see Image. Note UV map not optimized).  In the image I just lopped off a 45 degree corner from the already UV mapped piece and connected it to a duplicated piece with the other end cut at a 45.  You could also just put in a Corner post of another material (i.e. concrete) or just put a cap on the corner. 

Looks like you took the leap and getting the hang of it.  Let me know if you come up with any tricks, I know I could use them myself sometimes.

-Gordon Lightfoot

chaps

::)
hummm,
where is the file ?
???

Pascal

Mandrake

Pascal, if you mean the wall obj's, you can find some on Ashundar.

chaps

Thank you Mandrake,

I didn't look into the object directory.  :-\

Pascal.

Ogre

-Gordon Lightfoot

Mandrake

Ogre

Work Work Work

I am currently sitting in the Sheraton in Pittsburgh PA decding whether to order "The Dark Knight"

-Gordon Lightfoot

Mandrake

Last time I was in that situation I decided to go out, and ended up getting charged for 4 movies when I had never turned the dang thing on!