A non-commercial solution for creating chan files for Terragen.

Started by Moose, March 27, 2008, 07:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose

With the recent posts inquiring about *.chan files and Terragen, I've cleaned up a tool that I've been using for myself in Houdini to get cam data into Terragen. As long as you use it in a non-commercial way it should be fine to use with the free Houdini Apprentice. The tool itself is pretty straight forward to use without any real Houdini knowledge required. Knowing how to animate a camera in another package will stand you in good stead, however. There's a few things in the tool which I was toying with which don't really work, so just ignore them - the main functionality works well though.

I've also created a video demoing the tool's usage and how to do basic camera animation in Houdini. If you sign-up at Vimeo you'll have the option to d/l the video, otherwise it's only available to view as streamed content. It's available in both low-res and HD (113MB / 38min). The low-res version is pretty illegible so HD viewing is recommended.

I forgot to say in the video that you can click the help icon in the top right portion of the tool's parameters pane to view its documentation. Also, I wrongly said that the channel file extension should be chn when I meant to say chan - hopefully that was self-evident though. :)

Download Houdini Apprentice - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=589&Itemid=221
Download the tool - http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=485&versionid=485
View or d/l the demo video - http://www.vimeo.com/831399

Oshyan

Thanks Moose, this is really helpful and appreciated. :)

- Oshyan

Moose

N.P.

Version 2 uploaded to the SideFX Exchange to account for chan export now working with path based animation (oops :-[).

cyphyr

Thanks :) Great news Moose. So is Houdini an easy package to use and understand? My background is Lightwave so do you think it would be easy enough to use just for setting up Camera motions?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Moose

Quote from: cyphyr on March 28, 2008, 07:54:30 AM
Thanks :) Great news Moose. So is Houdini an easy package to use and understand? My background is Lightwave so do you think it would be easy enough to use just for setting up Camera motions?
Richard

Yeah, if you're only interested in animating a camera, there's hardly any learning curve at all. Don't know if you had a chance to look at the video, but in it I show a little camera animation how-to that should be sufficient to get something going with. That, along with the relevant page in the docs, should be all that's needed. The tool itself is very top-level so you wont have to go digging around in Houdini's innards - you don't have to learn Houdini per se, is what I mean. :)

Moose

Cheers :)

Now's probably a good time to say that as of Houdini 9.5 (currently in Public Beta release), chan export in Apprentice is now handled by the bclipnc format (Houdini's new binary non-commercial clip file), so the tool in this thread wont work anymore unless you're using Master or Escape. I'm not sure if the same applies for Apprentice HD, but I'd imagine it would seeing as it's also non-commercial (I'll check for sure next week when I upgrade).

gregsandor

Moose

gregsandor

We really need the ability to do this within Terragen.  Matt, add handles to our path points please so we can draw some damned curves.

gregsandor

Moose, Have you verified that your tool doesn't work in the new version?

Moose

Quote from: gregsandor on July 02, 2008, 06:50:29 AM
Moose, Have you verified that your tool doesn't work in the new version?

Apprentice (free) and Apprentice HD ($99) both use the non-commercial format for chan files as of Houdini 9.5. This means that you cant use the tool with these editions. Using Houdini Master or Escape should be unaffected though.

The tool should still work with a version of Apprentice 9.1 though...

gregsandor

Is 9.1 available for downlaod anywhere?  I found only 9.5.

Moose

Quote from: gregsandor on July 02, 2008, 09:53:55 AM
Is 9.1 available for downlaod anywhere?  I found only 9.5.

Yup, from the Downloads menu of the main site. :)